Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Decimal Odds In A Spreadsheet

Decimal Odds In A Spreadsheet

Hi

My first post here - looks like a great forum :)

Please can anyone help me? I have a spreadsheet which I am trying to create to calculate my bets.

I'm new to betting and don't really fully understand how the decimal odds work but notice that more bookies are offering/using this method pariculalry Betfair etc. To be honest I can roughly work things out in my head with fractions but haven't a clue with decimals which is why I wish to create a little spreadsheet to help me out. All of my bets will be placed online so I can have the spreadsheet at hand as my "personal assistant" :fizz

In my spreadsheet, I fill in the profit that I wish to achieve on a bet and then enter the odds. The spreadsheet will then (hopefully) tell me how much I need to place my stake for. If the odds are 5/1, I have seen from a chart that this coverts to 6.00 in decimals. If I enter 6.00 in my spreadsheet and work out my stake from this it simply multiplies my 'target' by 6.

For example if I have my 'target' as £10 this would tell me to place a stake of £60 but it should be £2. I would quickly be in debt!!!

Does anyone have an idea how I would make it do this calculation correctly? I presume there is some kind of forumla that I could use - doe anyone know what it is??

Instead of simply multiplying it by 6 what should I set the formula up to do so that it returns the outcome correct? I can't get my head around this to do a manual calculation each time

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance
    Phil

Was just about to answer this, then saw Mathare viewing the thread :D....no doubt his reply will be a lot more easy to understand than mine.

Spreadsheets - my favourite :)

You can handle fractional odds, which is a good start. Decimal odds are just fractional odds with the stake included. Evens = 2.00, 5/1 = 6.00 etc.

You want to win £10 on an even money shot you need to stake £10. And £2 on a 5/1 shot.

So target = stake x fractional odds therefore stake = target / fractional odds

Decimal odds = fractional odds + 1 (for the stake) so fractional odds = decimal odds - 1

therefore stake = target / (decimal odds - 1)

Target = £10
    Decimal odds = 6.00 (5/1)
    stake = 10 / (6-1) = 10 / 5 = £2

HTH :)

Thumbs up

Hi betaff,

It should just be a simple case of Target Profit / Odds.

i.e: You want to make £30 and the odds are 3/1, therefore 30/3 = £10 stakes!

Not quite sure if you are dutching or some other requirement?

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by markwales
    Was just about to answer this, then saw Mathare viewing the thread :D....no doubt his reply will be a lot more easy to understand than mine.

I was tempted to say "post your spreadsheet up here and by the end of the day I will make it sing and dance for you" but my boss is keeping a careful eye on me at the mo :wink

Thumbs up

Sorry mathare, did not see that you were posting. I shall leave it to the Master

Gordon

Wow

Talk about a quick response!!! I was expecting to come back this afternoon and maybe have a reply. Thank you very much :0)

This makes is sound dead easy. Basically then for my profit (assuming I pick a winner) I simply deduct the 1 back off the calculation as this is my stake anyway.

I will get to work on my spreadsheet. Thanks again

Actually, one other quick question on the same topic. I have been thinking about trying to look at overseas races in the evenings as it's not always easy for me to bet on UK races in the day.

I have read on one website about the different methods in the US (+ odds or - odds). I read this here: http://www.freebetting.net/online_sp...tting_odds.php

Do any of you have experience of betting on US races via US based bookies and if so, I guess I would need to create a different calculation for - or + American odds?

Again, any help would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks again
    Phil

In U.S odd the minus sign means that the normal fractional odds of say 1-5 (1.2) has been reversed to 5 divided by 1 with a minus in front.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Thread Information