Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Volvo TV Advert

Now this is really depressing. I havn't done it. Looked at the symbols got really irritatated with all the scrolling about and candlelight. Why can't I have a nice sold picture I can study and see clearly? Some look as though they might be the same but at the same time look different.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Are PMs turned off? I can't seem to find them so I can't send you a pic of the wall.

Oh, I also seem to be an advanced user now...?

Okay...here's a link to it.

http://www.pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/n...f/cozumel1.jpg

And you're on the right track - some symbols ARE the same...what you've gotta do is group them together in order to "snake" your way across the wall. That will reveal the coordinates for Isla Culebra. Let me know if you want to see the version with the solution and I'll email it to you.

Advanced users can post HTML in their posts. The facility has been given to those that Keith feels may require the need to post HTML in their threads.

It was done in order to maximise the stability of the forum and site due to the recent hack, and to plug any security gaps which have been found when HTML is globally switched on in other forums of this type.

Thanks Gloss thats a great help.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Good, if you've saved the pic, I can take it off then?

For those that need it...the riddle to gain access to Isla Culebra:

Pick two pin's ends on top of the peak
    The red stone south is the first we seek
    Then turn your key into a clock
    Add second letters of every rock

Ok saved it now.

BTW I've got to upgrade to MYSQL (yep off topic) any ideas which I should download I should use?

Marcus

Strange...I haven't needed MySql to solve any part of this puzzle!

Version 5 is the stable one if that's what you're looking for though?
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

When you put the circle bit of the key on the central peak
    and swing the pointer round from red rock

It goes past 3 other rocks,

Curl
    Costas
    andf the one to the east!

The second letters make something like EUOA

That obviously don't work?!

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/M....zip/from/pick

Was what I was after :D thanks for posting. Now I got to find out how to use it with Delphi :( Never have understood the ODBC interface very well.

Marcus

I think the pins on on the rock and you use the words the circle bit highlights but havn't tried it.

Marcus

No, Vegy has the right idea. Put the circular part of the key onto the central peak with the prongs pointing down at Red Rock. Then rotate the key slowly clockwise...and you're not just looking for places with Rock in the title....but places/pictures that might be rocky!

So the first stop is going to be Short Peak followed by Curl Rock and so on. If you've put the key in the right place, the rocky pictures will appear between the pins, alongside the shorter of the two.

scaaty is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlosRFC
    Are PMs turned off? I can't seem to find them so I can't send you a pic of the wall.

Oh, I also seem to be an advanced user now...?

Okay...here's a link to it.

http://www.pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/n...f/cozumel1.jpg

And you're on the right track - some symbols ARE the same...what you've gotta do is group them together in order to "snake" your way across the wall. That will reveal the coordinates for Isla Culebra. Let me know if you want to see the version with the solution and I'll email it to you.

Not looked at this for a couple of days because of visitors, but been trying all this evening and I'm still well stuck even with the pic to help - got blocks of 16,14,6,8 and 20 I think, or maybe 21. Not sure at all about any of them though, I find the same as Marcus, that some of them look almost the same but not exactly and I don't know whether to count them or not .... can't make them join up properly into a path either
    If you still have the solution, could I have it before I go nuts please ?!! I'll PM you my email address and keep my fingers crossed :)

*** Please do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality ***

Solution sent :)

Don't let the two groups of longer numbers throw you off - think logically about them (and their position in the sequence) and it will all become clear.

Many thanks Glos, done it no problem with your help :)
    Can't believe how thick I was being - you know I said I couldn't make a proper path ? Well, that was because I was looking for blocks of numbers and I completely overlooked the fact that one was a number !!!
    Anyway, onward and hopefully upward - got screencaps of all the lightning flashes and now just got to figure out what to do with them .... think I have an inkling but not put it to the test yet.

Just out of interest...who else is still playing along? Scaaty and Marcus but John, BigC and Mark were also giving it a go - we might need your help/talents with later puzzles.
    Talents? What are they? :D

I haven't looked at this for over a week. Just had too much else to do. Looks like you guys are well ahead anyway!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Want to share your inkling, Scaaty? The screen captures will definitely prove useful.

Still time to catch up John. The semi-final, i.e. last online puzzle, isn't due to take place until Wednesday with the final email clue coming out on Tuesday.

Having been playing around with this for the last hour or so, I'm not convinced that my inkling is any use .... assumed it must be something to do with the number of forks ( forked tongue ?) possibly combined with the number of flashes, but getting nowhere yet. Been concentrating mainly on the 5th and 10th pics so far as I guess they're most likely to be the letters .... not sure where the 8th fits in as it's sheet not fork lightning .... maybe a zero ?
    Are you any further forward ? Don't give me any hints yet if you are, I'm still enjoying trying to figure it out :)

Further forward? Yup, I've been sitting at the next island since just after the puzzle was published :)

Further forward? Yup, I've been sitting at the next island since just after the puzzle was published :)
    Thought you might be !

This is a bit out of my league to be honest, I was much more at home with the Monkey Island games - combining a metronome and a banana was a doddle compared to these :D

Ok, I need a small hint to start with - are the 5th and 10th flashes the letters ? If I know that for sure I might be able to get somewhere ... but then again I might not !

Yes, they are letters and you're right about the number of forks. However, the order in which they're displayed is not correct - you have to figure out what order to put them in.

Sorry - I have to drop out of this - esentially have to concentrate on other work for a while.

Marcus

Nearly dropped out myself - I forgot that today was the final day!!

The revisit to Port Royal was exactly that - a trip around the world visiting all of the previous locations (hence the need to keep them all bookmarked) to confirm all the extra letters/numbers hidden along the way and, sneaky move or what, but some of the locations had new clues.

Anyway I'm past Port Royal and mooching around what I suspect is the final mysterious island of Somewhere....

Right, I think I've solved the mystery of Somewhere but this bit I'm absolutely hopeless at.

If I'm right, I need to make squares with the pieces in each of these eight vertical columns with one piece left over - the answer is the number of the row each extra piece appears in. Make sense?

http://www.pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/final2uk.jpg

But I can't do tangrams to save my life. I've made some squares and ended up with two pieces over...grrrr! Any experts out there?

I thought YOU were the expert, Glos!

I'll have a look at it for you soon.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

I got there in the end, John, although I had to resort to cutting out paper shapes and trying to shuffle them into position. I submitted my answer a couple of hours after the site went live so I don't for one minute imagine I'm even close to being selected but it was a fun competition over the past month.

The last puzzle threw me as I'd tried a sneak preview but then Volvo went and changed them all. Took me a while to figure out the relationship between the contents of the box and the markings on the lid (thanks to Oldham with pointing out the obvious connection there) and the email clue made sense too...."All eight but one will see the same, for you to find that final name"

It's certainly been a popular thread with more than 1300 views so I hope that every one who looked in enjoyed playing along.

Well done and hope you're in with a chance of the prize ! Just sent you mail as I'd managed the first two columns and found an easy way to do it - and have now realised I sent the pic as a bmp instead of a jpg so it'll be a huge file - sorry ! No need for you to download it now though. I've certainly enjoyed playing along even tho' I didn't get any further than the stars :)

Well done to the both of you!

Yes, it sure was enjoyable, even for the very little amount I played. :)

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Well done Glos - hope you are one of the ones they send (go buy a big shovel, just in case) .

Thread Information