Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Norton AV for XP

Norton AV for XP

Anyone installing Norton AV 2003 (Home and Pro versions) should be aware that there is a slight bug in the Live Update. I have tried to contact Symantec but as with most Symantec products, finding a way to contact them is almost impossible.

The problem seems to centre around the Navinoc.dll not allowing the Update. To resolve this, simply find the file and rename it. Next time you run LiveUpdate, you should have no problems.

The problem with Norton is that it gets deep-deep-deep into your system, so if you try to uninstall, their will be many bits left. This can then affect other installations as I discovered a few months back.

After uninstalling it to try AVG, it then wouldn't let me re-install it, and the Norton help said I'd just have to format my disk!!! NEVER do that no matter who tells you. It's only a software problem.

ANyway, after last weeks crash, I done a complete new XP Pro install and it works now. It is the vest around, although the firewall leaves a lot to be desired, especially with a home network, so it's back to Zonealarm for that one.

I've never had a problem with the live update though.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

This brings up an issue that I had when I used to use AVG. It proved to be a very reliable and protective ant-virus guard although I had trouble using the LiveUpdate. I continually updated it although the update button kept saying "Database Is Too Old". So I uninstalled and re-installed it but unfortunately this did not work. :( I now use Norton in conjunction with Windows 98...

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thread Information