Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware/Malware/etc...

Spyware/Malware/etc...

I've spent the last month trying every spyware program on the market (the ones that don't actually hijack the browser in the first place).

Most folk use Spybot & Adaware, because they are free, but you do get what you pay for, which isn't much with these. Things like browser hijacks, malware, are often ignored by these programs as they just can't deal with them.

Out of all those I tested, the one that removed every piece of crap for the test computers, even heavily embedded malware was Spy Doctor.

For what it does it's pretty cheap at £20, and will find anything at all that is dangerous even slightly on your computer and get rid of it. And for the folk thinking, I have anti-virus.....that is for viruses......not spyware/malware/hijackers, etc.

The other bonus with the software is it runs a security guard in the back ground preventing pages with a history, or iffy code from loading in the first place, most of the time you never know about this.

You can download the free trial which will scan your system and list what it finds, to remove them you have to pay (of course) but it's worth the money when you see what it finds, although if it lists everything as 'LOW' then you have a pretty safe system already, but it's still handy for the background protection it supplies.

The software is kept up-to-date with updates. You can read up on it here, and get the download, even if it's just to see what crap is lurking on your system http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

The worst type of spyware are the ones that virtually no ordinary anti malware prog will have any effect on, at least the free ones don't. Whether the ones you pay for do or not I don't know, but it's the type that sits in your bottom tray and keeps popping up with things like "critical error" and drives you crazy. Well this lil beauty solved my problem, it might already be on here somewhere...

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip

Use it in safe mode, press 2 to clean then enter, press Yes for all else. Then a log will appear when you reboot but you shouldn't need to worry about that.

Spy Doc gets rid of them, thats why i mentioned it.

Well the above link is free, I think virtually the only one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit Seeker View Post
    Well this lil beauty solved my problem, it might already be on here somewhere...
    I've downloaded from the link but how do you run it? Unzipping the download creates a folder with several files, none of which seems to be an exe file and I can't see how to activate it.

You have to get up before the birds and crap on the doorstep if you want to see buffalo playing pinball in the spring.

© Dave Courtney's Nan

Should be a SETUP

That's the problem Keith - there isn't. Not a big deal, I think I'm reasonably covered (Zonealarm, Norton AV, Adaware (pay version), AOL's own spyware checker). Was just curious to try PS's suggestion.

You have to get up before the birds and crap on the doorstep if you want to see buffalo playing pinball in the spring.

© Dave Courtney's Nan

Oh ye, click the command script one, then select no. 2 option.

Im glad it resolved your problem Profit Seeker, but please bear in mind that posting it for others to use when they are not infected by it might cause their PC's to malfunction. I am training to remove all kinds of Spyware/Trojans/Viruses/Malware etc ranging from very easy to hard.

That tool is advanced. Not so much in it's use, but in what it does. You need to be infected with Smitfraud to then have the program fix it.

One effect of using SmitFraudFix on a non-infected computer would be the removal of desktop background.

Just to let you know, and Im not been bad to you either ok ? :)

Take a look at my signature below for more info.

Thanks Racer, I found that out for myself when using it again. It also does a disk clean up but doubt it damages anything. I also posted it for people who are infected with the type of malware I described to use it. :)

You never mentioned the Smitfraud virus PS, so your post was misleading as Gaz tried running it, and is it changes settings on your computer without asking, most average folk wouldn't know how to reset them to defualt.

The threads subject, Spyware Doctor, gets rid of Smitfraud, Spyaxe, etc, without crapping up your PC, and gives you full details of what it finds before you delete anything, as well as giving the option of setting a System Restore point in case it goes wrong. Something I hope you done before running the script you used.

Did no such thing to mine, worked as it should. The smitfruad virus is the type I explained to use it for, nuff said! Gaz shouldn't have tried it if he didnh't have critical error pop ups and such like popping up from his bottom tray, as was clearly outlined. :)

And I can gaurantee if I'd come on here with my problem as I did months ago with exactly the same one, no er would have suggested it, even though you clearly know what it is

I tried to try it, but couldn't, and then didn't try again after PS explained how. So no damage done then.

© Dave Courtney's Nan

Littlegaz,

I suggest you try a malware forum out to post a Hijackthis log and then your PC will be cleaned of all crap I can assure you and in the safest way possible.

Unfortunately, I cant personaly help you myself as I am still in training and whilst doing so I am not allowed to help anyone until I have graduated at Uni with my course (Spyware/Malware threats).

I've already posted a nuts forum somewhere http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Gaz are we to presume that you have a problem?

Gaz are we to presume that you have a problem?
    Ooh, I've got lots but Dear Diedre usually deals with them.

As for IT problems, no not really. I looked up your link as a bit of prevention rather than cure, but it seems that I did OK by not running it.

© Dave Courtney's Nan

Ok dude, nah you won't get my problems unless you carelessly visit the sites I do

Ok dude, nah you won't get my problems unless you carelessly visit the sites I do
    I wasn't aware they had a virus issue over at www.teletubbies.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I wasn't aware they had a virus issue over at www.teletubbies.co.uk
    they do... it's called chlamydia

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Just a quick question about Spy Doctor, did anyone else notice their internet connections dropping a number of times after installing the program?? Mine dropped a number of times within the first hour of installation but then when i closed the program fully the net stayed fine. Any thoughts anyone??

Change the settings in it. Plenty if them to play with, or just switch the Guard off. The Phishing on IE7 slows mine down, so I switched that off.

Ok, thanks Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegaz View Post
    Ooh, I've got lots but Dear Diedre usually deals with them.
    lol LittleGaz :splapme

A free download worth having is Spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html Runs in the background, so you don't even know it's there. Stops spyware getting onto your PC in the first place. Check for updates every few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rinoco View Post
    A free download worth having is Spywareblaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html Runs in the background, so you don't even know it's there. Stops spyware getting onto your PC in the first place. Check for updates every few weeks.
    Hi Eric, it's a good idea not to post links without asking permission first (it is in fact against the forum rules), that's why it had been temporarily deleted and you got carded. Luckily this one is useful and was recommended by one of our other members a while back. You have to be very careful with anti spyware programs, especially the free ones, there are many out there that don't do what they claim, and some in fact will load your PC with more spyware, and then ask for money to 'activate' the program to clear it out.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

The free ones are no good, they do not remove embedded spyware.

i remembered this thread and after getting some nasty infections that adaware and norton couldn't get rid of i d/l spyware doctor, to be fair it did a pretty good job and at £24 i can't complain but there is still one i can't get rid of, it's trying to sell me a personal security centre, ultimate fixer, ultimate defender, ultimate cleaner and security monitor if you close the box down pc runs like a slug and it trys to stop you connecting to the net, i can manually remove it , its in windows system 32, but everytime i reboot it comes back how do i stop the system from going back to last settings to stop this from happening? please help

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

Did you install the latest upgrade? It says here it cleasn it http://www.pctools.com/mrc/infection...mate+Defender/

else

http://www.2-spyware.com/forum/topic1603.html

don't know what it is keith ive tried everything pc still running like a slug i have to wait after each letter before i can type the next, ive got norton, adaware and spy doctor

I have an impressive bank of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I've lost the combination to this bank.

Thread Information