Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213

Thread: Monuments to Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    So as the government allow me to run a business in there country, under there laws, in there tax system, Mr Brown is responsible if I go bust or lose data?
    That's a bit extreme. The government aren't responsible for decisions you make about your company, and neither do they influence your proceedures unlike they do with the organisations mentioned so far in this thread.

There has always been acountability in business, long before it became rife in society, and ultimately, the present government seems to want to annul all sense of accountability within it's membership.

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

But they do influence the way my company is run, I can't do anything without it having some kind of government laws involved.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

So as the government allow me to run a business in there country, under there laws, in there tax system, Mr Brown is responsible if I go bust or lose data? NOPE!! I am. Same as the MANGERS of the hospitals are responsible for any problems within that specific hospital, not Mr Fliipin Brown. :splapme

You're all turning into Yanks
    You are f'ing mental if you read that into what I said! BUT, Brown is responsible for what goes on in individual hospitals if he sets up a funding and target system that is blatantly self-contradictory!

Anyway, I thought "MANGERS" a nice seasonal touch...

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

65- http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showt...788#post453788

Hmmmm, let's see, no cover-up, no should have known, no deputy leader accepting money, the electoral commission being informed as soon as poosible and let me think...... no £multi-million planning applications granted afterwards!

What is bigger?

Sleaze

Sleaze

I think it is important to test your perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun View Post
    Anyway, I thought "MANGERS" a nice seasonal touch...
    If you were4 on these new pills I'm on youd be lucky to tpye anyhting correctly. (this is the unedited 1st try)

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun View Post

Sleaze

Sleaze
    I just looked in the dictionary and them both mean the same

66- Northern Rock guarantees and loans are now up to £57 billion or, to put it another way, more than half the health budget for 2007 (£104 billion).

Add to that the BoE auctions of around £50 billion so far where they take dodgy CDO's as collateral and exchange it for shiny new pounds fresh from the printing press and as my favourite columnist says "pretty soon you are talking real money!"

It reminds me of a certain novice gambler of my aquaintance who got in trouble with the Martingdale system and kept throwing good money after bad!

Or maybe it reminds me more of Mr Micawber who always believed that "something will turn up" to save him from finacial embarassment.

Well, the inevitable finally happened and Northen Rock was "nationalised". The right decision too late?, The wrong decision too late?

Who knows, but at least Beardy Branson didn't get his hands on it after his cosy trip with Brown.

Long term this might be a good deal for the taxpayer, OK the Bank of England has to gurantee the deposits and lend money to cover the mortgages, but as it can effectively create money out of thin air at almost zero cost, as long as the business is run at arms length, the government makes a spread between the cost of the money to the BoE or zero % and the rate lent to NR at around 5.75-6% or around £1.7 billion per year. The danger is if this money is left in the sytem as it unwinds it will fuel inflation.

With hindsight the current squeals about govt mismanagement don't really add up. If they had nationalised on day 1 (probably the right option) they would have been accused of resurrecting clause 4, if they had sold to Lloyds, it would have been big business favouritism and EU troubles and merely guaranteeing deposits and lending short term funds would have implied the same to all banks. I'm not convinced the other lot would have done any better.

What was/is at fault is the regulatory regime that allowed the problem in the first place, the Bank of England can set higher capital adequacy requirements if it deems a banks business to be risky (in effect limiting the number of loans it can make without similar deposits). Separation of oversight between teh Treasury, BoE and the FSA led predictably to nobody doing anything as each body could legitamately claim that it was "somebody elses problem".

If banks are considered too big to fail, at public expense, then they should be subject to tighter regulation and higher capital adequacy should be required.

It also comes down to rampant money and credit creation by govt over the last 10-15 years, not just in the UK. As money gets cheaper and more abundant, more risks are taken and where the govt leads the private sector will follow as inflation and money supply rises they must search in riskier places for higher yield to compensate for the real decline in the value of their assets.

The real damage to the govt is going to be when they start laying people off from NR. It has to be done, but it doesn't look good for Labour to do it.

As an aside, the press conference with Darling Brown yeatrday spoke volumes. Every time Darling was asked a question he asked Brown if he could answer. I think we can all guess who wears the trousers in that relationship!

I was listening to some idiot on the radio today saying they've only saved it 'cos it was in a Labour stronghold. I think he was one of the London mayoral candidates.:splapme
    On a purely obtuse viewpoint, I now sponsor Newcastle United.

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

For once Anatole Kaletsky in The Times had a point. What should happen is that they accept no new business (to avoid unfair competition), all savings get transferred to National Savings and all mortgages are funded by issuing Govt bonds (gilts) as the Northern Rock paper expires. As customers come to the end of their deals they won't be able to get a new one from this source so will in all likelihood pay back the balance by taking a mortgage from another provider.

I dont know enough about banking to comment on the whys or wherefors but i know enough about politics to know the Tories will ssay the fact Labour did not nationalise it on day one is a sign of Gordon Brown been a "ditherer"

This is all very dangerous politics form the Tories. Yes it might seem clever at the moment to make hay from the decision (the only correct decision) to not call a general election but you can do things to overkill. They seem to just say the word dither everytime a massive decision needs to be taken if it is not made instantly.

There will come a time when David Cameron will have to make a big decision and he will make it trigger happy quickly to try and empathise the fact that he is decisive and not a ditherer like Gordon Brown. When he gets that decision wrong he will make big mistakes.

My advice to Brown is for him to carry on "dithering" and let cameron posture about been decisive. I suspect people might feel safer with someone who weighs up the options than someone who they may feel will just make decisions on the hoof. If I were Mr.Brown, at the time of the next election, I would say do you want the decisions that matter to be made by someone who takes his time but who is experienced or do you want to trust this young inexperienced man who rushes into things?

Dave might end up saying things and doing things in the heat of a general election battle to show he is not a ditherer which may just lead the electorate to dither about whether it is wise to give him the chance to be this decisive leader when he actually has a decision to make that will affect their future.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Every day I resolve not to read the newspapers or watch the news, and quite often I fail and come accross yet more madness that makes me madder than Mad Jack McMads maddest uncle.

67- Oooh look at that environmentally aware supermarket Marks & Spencer. Making people pay 5p for a plastic bag is just sooooo right on, I mean they choke turtles and cause carbon emissions, right?

Whoa!!! Hold on just one fg second before we give them a green award or 5. I don't know what supermarket you all shop in, but the ones I use, including M&S package every damn thing these days in plastic trays, with plastic lids, and sometimes the food contained therein tastes liek plastic aswell!

So by encouraging us to reuse plastic bags all of 0.000001% of plastic used by these monsters will be saved. As for carbon emissions, compared to running fleets of delivery lorries then having heated shops with open fridges and freezers, should we really give a damn?

68- Our glorious leaders are having yet another "WAR ON DRINKING". Maybe they should stop having wars (on poverty, yobs, superbugs and even sovereign nations) and just let people get on with their lives. If the middle classes drink too much wine, as long as they aren't fighting and puking in the street, what is the govts place to intervene?

If extended drinking hours are causing public order problems, put a punitive charge on the license for pubs / clubs that open late and / or are troublesome that they will have to pass on in higher drink prices.

But raising the price of cigarettes and petrol to ridiculous levels via taxation has had quite the opposite effect on consumption, so why do they think booze is any different. OK, there is an economic argument to be made that you should tax the things people enjoy as you will take more taxes (if you tax something people don't particularly like and can choose not to do they will stop doing it) but be honest about it!

And they should be careful about sobering us all up, we might notice what a mess they are making of things and gather in Parliament Square with pitchforks and ropes, not to mention that the bars in the palaces of Westminster are heavily subsidised!

68 - All these laws to plug up 'holes' remind me of the 'Shared Space' concept with the roads that has proven to work so well. Take away the pavements, painted lines, lights, road signs, etc, and eventually the people work everything out and respect each other rather than Car v Pedestrian. Proven to have less speed, less accidents, etc

It's about time the government, who ever is in power, started to put the public back in control of our own lives, this 'It is always someone elses fault' culture is based on the fact the government after government have been sticking more laws in to plu loopholes, rather than looking at the basic issue.

wb is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

67- Oooh look at that environmentally aware supermarket Marks & Spencer. Making people pay 5p for a plastic bag is just sooooo right on, I mean they choke turtles and cause carbon emissions, right?
    There is a 22 cent tax on all plastic bags in Ireland, and the shops are not allowed to absorb the cost. I have to say, it actually works. Not that it's going to save the world or anything, but there seems to be (slightly) less litter.

Tada gan iarracht

Left at the Dog and Crown, 1st left, keep right, just after the War Memorial
    Take a look at the shelves in whichever supermarket you use and look at all the packaging they use to put stuff on the shelf. Tons and tons of boxes, plastic dispensers etc. Whats wrong with the shelves we used to have? Why does everything have to put in a box, then be put on the shelf.

I was in Tesco's yesterday and a guy was going down the aisle, picking the empty dispenser boxes off the shelf. He was folding or ripping them up and stuffing them in a plastic container. So obviously they are not reused. They may be recycled, but that requires a whole load of Co2 in itself. Are they really needed at all.

I bought my kids some easter eggs. They were in a foil wrapper, inside a plastic clamshell inside the manufacturer's box. Fair enough...I suppose all of that keeps them fresh and unbroken. But then they had 6 or so of the boxes in a tesco's cardboard dispenser on the shelf. Why ? The easter egg boxes would sit neat and tidy on the shelf, why did they need to be inside yet another box that is only going to thrown away after 1/2 a day?

All this baloney about the plastic bags isnt addressing the real issues with the waste these guys create. Its PR as usual with no real substance.

No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner

Thomas Dewar

68 - All these laws to plug up 'holes' remind me of the 'Shared Space' concept with the roads that has proven to work so well. Take away the pavements, painted lines, lights, road signs, etc, and eventually the people work everything out and respect each other rather than Car v Pedestrian. Proven to have less speed, less accidents, etc

It's about time the government, who ever is in power, started to put the public back in control of our own lives, this 'It is always someone elses fault' culture is based on the fact the government after government have been sticking more laws in to plu loopholes, rather than looking at the basic issue.
    Spot on, the knee jerk reaction of this lot is "if in doubt, bring in more legislation". We are promised legislation to crack down on yobbish, drunken teenagers (weren't we all???), for example, when there are already perfectly good catch all laws such as breach of the peace and on underage drinking. The problem is one of enforcement, not the laws themselves.

I was talking to the wife about this the other day and as little as 15 years ago if you were causing trouble someone would call the police, they'd come and chase you and if you got caught they'd put you in the back of the police car, take you home to your parents and hang around while you got a *******ing or a slap.

These days "concerned citizen" would be too scared to call in case of reprisals, if they did they would get a call centre if they were lucky, then at best a couple of pretend Police would show up and if they weren't too scared would try to move them along, if it got nasty then maybe some real Police might turn up, if they decided to pick you up they would have to arrest you and fill in various forms, then if they took you home and your parents gave you a slap they'd have to arrest them!

:splapme:splapme:splapme

69- That barbarous relic of the dark ages has been making a fool of itself again.

"The Vatican has extended its list of mortal sins to include 21st century issues such as genetic experimentation, pollution, social injustice, drug abuse and excessive wealth."

I doubt that particular pronouncement will apply to the RC church or the whole lot of them would be damned, and anyway, if they want to address wealth inequality wouldn't they be better to make being poor a mortal sin???

genetic experimentation
    ...or another name for it.....EVOLUTION.

70. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of Europe"

Get in the real world you prats!

I notice 'shagging choirboys' hasn't been included.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time. Like tears in rain. Time to die.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhabee View Post
    I notice 'shagging choirboys' hasn't been included.
    Well 'blow me' he didn't......

Thread Information