Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Monuments to Stupidity

Anyone else notice that it only stopped raining whgen Brown went to the USA, pictures on the news of him arriving in Washington, and guess what, it was raining. Then he comes back here and it rains in Dorset.

Now he's back in London the rain will no doubt make it's way here shortly...

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun View Post
    Anyone else notice that it only stopped raining whgen Brown went to the USA, pictures on the news of him arriving in Washington, and guess what, it was raining. Then he comes back here and it rains in Dorset.

Now he's back in London the rain will no doubt make it's way here shortly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun
    not content with making it rain and flooding large swathes of England
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun
    Have you noticed that since the evil one became PM it has done nothing but rain, forget Global Warming, the antichrist is in charge.
    All in this thread.....starting to sound as repetitive as Cameron :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Be fair Keith, at least OFF is putting out a consistient message. He is doing a better job than the Tory frontbench.

I defy anyone to be able to name 5 of the shadow cabinet and their posts and what ideas they have put forward. This at a time when there is a new Prime minister and maybe an election roud the corner. They are a shambles, they should be on the TV day and night hammering away, but I suppose if you have no policies and no idea of what direction your party is going you just keep your mouth shut and hope people just vote for you for a laugh. When did you last hear from the Tory health shadow? When did you last hear from their envirmoment shadow? How about their education shadow? (apart from when he is scrambling around trying to patch up Camerons mess on grammar schools) These are meant to be the new conservative issues they are going to be figthing the government on.

This lot could be in power next May and they cant even organise themselves in opposition. I would not be suprised if they nicked OFFS policy on rain, its better than what they have got! :)

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Boris Yeltsin - Ministry of Clowns!!!
    Davis Davis - Minister for Wales!!

I would think the last thing Cameron needs now is Boris Johnson running for Mayor of London. He has to convince people quickly that the Conservative Party are a serious party and Johnson will just give the impresssion it is anything but. You also know that he is going to mess up somewhere along the line due to his love of portraying himself as the lovable fool (though he is anything but a fool) and Cameron will be the one that suffers. Boris will be alright though he will keep his profile high and get on more TV shows and the like and its his party that will suffer while Johnson the celebrity prospers.

David Davies is another cup of tea. He has been impressive since losing the leadership election and I cant believe that inside him he dont resent the fact that one dodgy speech by him and one good speech from Cameron means he has ended up having to listen to all the idiots and lightweights cameron has surrounded himself with.

Fair do's to the man, he has bit his lip and got on with his job effectivley. Im guessing he has calculated that Cameron will be a goner sometime in the next couple of years and he can be the beneficiary of a more electable conservative party and also have shown he can do a big job properly. Much better to portray yourself as a loyalist and let others do the dirty work in demolishing the current leader and it will play well with the right wing of the party that his speciality over the previous years was law and order as shodow Home secretary. Maybe, he can be the next Tory PM in 2013 as he is young enough and will have held a very important job in opposition and done it well, certainly better than any other shadow in the big jobs thats for sure.

Much better to portray yourself as a loyalist and let others do the dirty work in demolishing the current leader
    Sounds like Brown :)

:)

He had to wait much longer than Davies will have to so unfortunatley he did get his hands dirty a bit but because Cameron sucked up to Blair so much that lack of discipline has ended up working in his favour.

But you are right, i think Davies is much more likely to be Prime Minister than Cameron, becuase I just dont rate Cameron as a politician and you can only be the prime minister by been a prime politician. Davies to me is looking the prime politician in his party.

I am getting these disturbing visions of a dim room with a huge poster of G Brown on the wall....

...and TH performing a sex act too disgusting to be described in a family newspaper on himself.

Davies and Hague or mor emy idea of proper Tories, but let Cameron soften up teh electorate first.

What a horrible thought!

Ive always been a big Brown fan though so making the most of it while the sun is shining on him. Have seriously gone off Cameron at same time though. At the beginning of the year I thought he may be the real deal but now realise that he only had the one strategy and i think it would be best all round for politics in general if Brown just smashes him to pieces.

I think Hague would enjoy making fun of Brown but he is tainted by a most feeble general election campaign in 2001 so if I was a Tory I would go for davies. Now that would be serious politics again with two tribal politicians who you dont have to like but you could respect.

I could write a dissertation most Mondays after perusing the Sunday Papers, but I will pass up the easy targets of the foot and mouth research centre causing an outbreak in favour of some celebrity nonsense.

19- Mia Farrow, George Clooney and Steven Spielberg. What do they have in common? They work not just in the film industry, but in Hollywood. Now, I'm not given to stereotyping and generalisation as you know , but people don't often go into acting because they are intelligent. They also seem to spend a little less time than the rest of us "living in the real world" shall we say.

So it fills me with despair that these three are having a competition about who cares more about Sudan, including competing charitable foundations and bitchy letters to the press about each others perceived lack of commitment.

The ultimate stupidity was Farrow berating Spielberg for not doing enough to put pressure on the Chinese to step in. 1 film director against 1.25 billion communists? Really....

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter View Post
    Ive always been a big Brown fan
    Is that a Fruedian slip TH?:D

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

I suppose the celebrity gets an over inflated sense of their importance due to the unreal world they live in. I prefer the celebrities to do the entertaining and the politicians to do the politics. SOmetimes there seems to be some kind of role reversal going on and neither do the job properly!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyminer View Post
    Is that a Fruedian slip TH?:D

Have you seen your rep power...?....is that another freudian slip

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

Blimey you lot are sex Mad.

How did you spot that Merl. You must have it on the brain 24 hours a day........

Lucky so and so!

I see you have come up for air now.....

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

I suppose the celebrity gets an over inflated sense of their importance due to the unreal world they live in. I prefer the celebrities to do the entertaining and the politicians to do the politics. SOmetimes there seems to be some kind of role reversal going on and neither do the job properly!
    Can't argue with that!

20 - Let's have a go at an easy target today, cyclists. A year or so ago I was annoyed to find 6 "Community Support Officers" and Policemen hiding in one of the underpasses under Park Lane catching people who were cycling through them and fining them. I figured it was a waste of resources against a non-existent crime.

How times have changed! Same thing happened yesterday, but no Police and all the CSO's were middle aged ladies (to be generous to them). Now I have to say I smirked and sniggered to see the cyclists getting stopped this time and do you know why? Let me tell you. Cyclists are a menace to civilised society. Sure you are saving the planet or something but:

- Get your hand off my bonnet when you stop at the lights
    - Don't ring your stupid wee bell to get me out of the way in an underpass or on the pavement where you shouldn't be cycling
    - Learn the highway code. Cars don't have magic invisible properties and their drivers aren't telepathic, so try to signal your intentions rather than expecting the vehicles around you to miraculously avoid you as you swerve in front of them.
    - Stop cycling side by side on narrow roads, especially slowly!
    - The amount of monet spent on cycle lanes would be better spent on making the roads fit for the cars that they are designed for

But the monuments to stupidity in the theory are twofold
    1- The clothes. Lycra looks good on nobody, especially flabby fifty year olds, and you look stupid already, so don't bring attention to yourself with bright clothing. Fit girls in their twenties with miniskirts on (causing accidents by the dozen in their wake), are exempt from my scorn.
    2- The people who stopped to get fined yesterday. You are on a bike, the fuzz are all old ladies - ESCAPE for goodness sake!

Left at the Dog and Crown, 1st left, keep right, just after the War Memorial
    add to that the so and sos who ride through red lights, zebra and pedestrian crossings

Time for cycles to be taxed and insured like cars I think....

No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner

Thomas Dewar

Cyclists certainly need to be policed more as they can be a danger both to themselves and others. There are a lot of cycle lans built in Luton now but they still tend to ride on the pavements and that is annoying because for years they moaned that councils did not invest in cyclists.

...let others do the dirty work in demolishing the current leader

I think he's doing a pretty good job of that himself.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time. Like tears in rain. Time to die.

Brown continues to bring down the wrath of God upon Britain. We've had fire in the form of terrorists at Glasgow Airport, we've had flooding (admittedly it did £8million worth of improvemnts to Hull), we've had pestilence in the form of foot and mouth, now we are having turmoil in the financial markets and food prices are rocketing due to failure of the crops. First person to see a locust wins a prize!

21- But for today, let' stake something that the UK is actually behaving well in - the "credit crunch". Now, you don't cure obesity with cream cakes and you don't cure alcoholism with a bottle of whisky, so why are the central banks of Europe and the USA trying to solve a problem caused by excess credit by creating yet more credit? It was bad enough to pump mor ecash into the market to keep banks from losing money (not going bust) after they had played fast and loose with credit and risk, but now the Fed is taking CDO's as collateral for loans - so the US taxpayer now shoulders the risk that should be shouldered by the bank who bought them or took them as collateral! And now the ECB wants to do a "Euro-dollar swap" with the Fed to ease dollar liquidity, so weakeniong the Euro and having even more worthless paper dollars in their reserves!

If banks have made bad decisions and some of them have made vast, stupid and greedy decisions they must be allowed to suffer even if they are eventually "rescued" in the interests of the ecoomy as a whole. If they are bailed out at the start, where is the incentive not to do the same again. i can imagine the hedge fund boys at BNP "Hey Pierre, you know we lost €2 billion on CDO's on our Leveraged Silly Money Can't Go Wrong Fund? Well the US Government has taken them as collateral. Lets default and open a new Leveraged Stupid Money Can't Go Wrong If We Leverage More Fund."

.....and food prices are rocketing....
    Yeah, I remember paying only 3p for a packet of crisps in the 70's

Attemting to enforce a policy of keeping threads on topic...

Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Yeah, I remember paying only 3p for a packet of crisps in the 70's
    Do you remember Harry H. Corbett doing the Snaps adverts Keith? They were only 3p then I think!

I went to Liverpool Theatre in the 70's to watch the Sooty & Sweep show.....still remember it......sad git eh?

Where to start, the line between satire and reality blurs ever more.

22- Yet another Chief Constable who completely misses the point, step forward Peter Fahey of Cheshire. He reckons the problems with youth disorder are caused by parents not disciplining their children and them having access to alcohol and wants the drinking age raised to 21.

Let me tell you why parents struggle to discipline their kids you ******. If you give your kid a slap when they misbehave, and most responsible parents only do it as a last resort when the kid is doing something dangerous, your officers will be round in short order to take said parent down the nick for some questioning, then inform social services who will make life hell as a law-abiding parent is an easy target compared to the scum they often have to deal with. Try to restrain your child from going out, same thing, whack them when they are older, assault charge.

It's even worse for teachers, so much as look at a child and if they make a complaint you are suspended with the cloud of abuse over you.

And drinking? An 18 age limit never stopped me from getting my hands on booze when I was younger. Nor did a 16 limit on cigarettes. This is a typical piece of modern woolly thinking. The Police don't enforce an existing law so it is widely ignored, so how do our masters try to solve the "problem"? Lets make a new law, that'll so the trick...

23- Before I forget, had to laugh at the Chinese toys being recalled. I've been banging on for ages about how the USA and to a lesser extent, the UK, has been metaphorically shipping out containers full of borrowed dollars and pounds to China in return for a bunch of plastic tat that we don't really want and don't really need.

Now it turns out that not only is the plastic tat fundamentally useless, it is poisonous aswell, and who says the Chinese are wet behind the ears when it comes to this capitalism lark...

just to add to the kids out of control - (source http://www.lep.co.uk/news?articleid=3111407 ).

Anger at eight-year-old arsonists

A Preston business owner has spoken out after learning eight-year-olds who started a fire at his premises will face no action

A businessman today spoke of his astonishment that the eight-year-old boys who started a serious fire at his premises will face no action.
    Martin Ogdin, 56, who runs PDS Plastics site in Springfield Street, Plungington, says the blaze last Friday has cost him thousands of pounds after it ripped through two container units. Stock was destroyed and a company car was written off.

Two eight-year-old boys were quizzed in connection with the blaze, but were later released – as no-one under the age of 10 can be charged with a criminal offence.

A spokesman for Lancashire police today confirmed no one else is being sought in connection with the blaze.

Mr Ogdin is furious that no one will be brought to account for the damage and says the youngsters are being treated like "gods".

He said: "I'm absolutely astonished.It is a cliche but you have to think the parents are to blame and I think if the kids can't be held to account, their parents should be.

"Someone should be made to pay so these kids can't just carry on doing this. There is no discipline any more. The schools don't discipline them, the police and the law can't, so what is to stop them running around doing what the hell they want? They are almost like gods. No-one can touch them and they know it."

The company, which employs one other person, is still trading despite the fire and Mr Ogdin has pledged they will not be defeated by the incident. He added: "We are still here, we are still open and we always will be."

A kid (thug/hoody/vandal/etc)....should have to sit an interview, and if they show they understand the difference in the meaning of the word RIGHT & WRONG (which they all will), then they have proved they have the intelligence to understand things which are good, and things which are bad, and then should be treated as any criminal in the justice system (let out!!!!! )

24- http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52942

Wrong in so many ways.

First of all, traffic wardens and penalty fines and clamping are supposed to prevent parking that causes disruption to traffic flows. Clamping does the exact opposite, it either keeps a vehicle in a disruptive position or ties up a parking space until release.

So clamping makes no sense at all.

As for everyday parking fines. Parking is a civil rather than criminal matter, if you look back in this thread you will see my scorn for the councils that think they are better at enforcement because they issue more tickets which pretty much negates all those punishments.

Sure, a council has the right, and some may argue, an obligation, to charge for parking as it uses a resource (space) that belongs to the local public. However, the enforcement of parking restrictions is a national disgrace. The tricks used by traffic wardens to issue tickets to meet their quotas are abominable, often sneaky and regularly downright illegal. And this is the rule rather than the exception. Examples I have personally seen are:

Driver parked outside my office returning to his van finds a warden putting a ticket on his windscreeen with 2 minutes still left on the meter.

Wardens hiding round corners before walking up to vehicle and putting ticket on as they walk quickly past. They are legally obliged to stand next to the vehicle for the 5 minutes (not 15) grace period before issuing the ticket. Their machines won't issue the ticket for 5 minutes after they start the process so they key in the reg number and go and hide until tehy can issue the ticket.

Needlessly confusing parking regulations where you might have line of bays of pay and display or residents with a residents only bay in the middle with a sign conveniently covered by a tree.

Traffic Warden checks the ticket on my windscreen and walks off, ticket falls off because the glue is shoddy so he comes back and tickets it.

Tickets given to blatantly broken down vehicles.

The Congestion Charge CCTV van parks in a "no parking" area all f'ing day.

I could go on and on and on. As with many things these days the problem is authorities contempt for the average law abiding citizen. If somebody is legally parked, has paid for his minimum 1 hour parking (doesn't matter if you only need 15 minutes, most machines these days are minimum 1 hour), and the queue in the shop takes longer than expected should he get an £80-£100 fine? Completely disproportionate, but he is an easy touch.

Only a complete fool, or someone with a foreign reg would not put money in the meter or a pay and display these days because ofthe number of gung-ho wardens about, so they come up with more and more ways to catch people out. I'll say it again, they try to catch people out - DELIBERATELY. That is just not British.

The solution as ever is obvious to me :). Cancel targets for issuing tickets. A councils main traffic enforcement priority should be to facilitate the free flow of traffic. Parking on a red route should result in car being towed and a large fine dished out as that is what causes major disruption and in that case "I was only parked for 2 minutes" doesn't wash as it can cause a jam that takes hours to clear.

Where parking is not causing an obstruction and an attempt has been made to pay there should be a properly enforced "grace" period. Sometimes events beyond our control make us a few minutes late (unless we happen to be the type of person who irons their underpants and hangs them in the wardrobe). Fines should be proportionate and should surely be no more than a tenner for less than an hour. Any more than that and you are taking the piss and deserve what you get.

When all is said and done, good laws are where they are enforceable and have the support of the majority of the public. The current parking regime is part and parcel of the fleecing of the motorist agenda which is causing huge anger and is symptomatic of the contempt of the paying public displayed by our so called leaders. Is it any wonder we hold politicians in equal contempt?

Thread Information