Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Monuments to Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun View Post
    Sometimes events beyond our control make us a few minutes late (unless we happen to be the type of person who irons their underpants and hangs them in the wardrobe).
    So were we all to iron our underwear and hang it in a wardrobe events beyond our control would never make us late again? OFF saves the world once more :D

Far and away too sensible OFF. It'll never catch on.

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

I love watching drivers in the West End through the pub window at lunchtimes.

A few weeks ago we had a surreal experience of watching a (lady) driver trying to park her car in a space that wasn't big enough. Back 2 inches, forward 2 inches etc. She was stil trying half an hour later, and we were taking bets on if she would hit one of the cars in front or behind She inevitably did, but then decided to just drive off anyway :splapme

Still, it was amusing all the same.

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I don't know OFF.......Oldham started a NEW THREAD on that subject.....you'll have Mat all in a tizzy now :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

25- I was listening to some old Ultravox albums today and realised that there were only ever 5 good things to come out of East Kilbride:

The Hunter Brothers - pioneers of surgery
    Midge Ure - founder of Ultravox and co-founder of Live Aid
    Ally McCoist - top class footballer and top bloke
    Me
    The A725 that gets you the hell out of there to the M74 for escape North or South.

So why would someone who won £35 million on the lottery "never want to leave"? She should give the money back!

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

The weird thing about East Kilbride is I reckon I know more people from there than from any other single town or city

Midge Ure - founder of Ultravox and co-founder of Live Aid
    I have his live in London gig, great stuff.

Midge Ure - founder of Ultravox
    I think John Foxx might have something to say about that !

My keyboard's running out of ink....

You wait until im Prime Minister OFF. Im going to give Scotland full independence and then deport you to East Kilbride! :)

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Can you take the VAT off Chinese takeaways please? :)

I've just fitted a kitchen in EK this weekend & if I'd just won 35 million I'd be bailing out sharpish. Non descript "new town" With 1 millionaire ? She'll be missus no pals if she doesn't make new friends. Human nature can be very harsh

26- How many times is Pete Doherty going to get let off? Does he have to kill someone when he's driving up to his eyeballs on drugs before he gets banged up? And we wonder why there is no fear of the law anymore...

27- What's the fuss about whether Learco Chindarmo (murderer of Philip Lawrence) is deported or not. If he is deported to Italy and as an EU citizen he has the "right" to freedom of movement accross Europe anyway. The real scandal is his 12 year minimum sentence.

If he is deported to Italy and as an EU citizen he has the "right" to freedom of movement accross Europe anyway.
    If he's deported he can't come back here though.

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

26....The plonker should be DEPORTED.....Smackhead.....

Appendix 1:
    Cameron arguing in the media that two hospitals should not be closed......when they are not closing at all. ...can't even run a shadow government....never mind a real one, he's made mistakes like this before!!

And who's going to stop him coming back? The same Human Rights Act that is creating the problem would almost certainly be interpreted to allow him to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Cameron arguing in the media that two hospitals should not be closed......when they are not closing at all. ...can't even run a shadow government....never mind a real one, he's made mistakes like this before!!
    He has even to managed to mess this one up and its the political equivilient of an open goal. What once appeared to be freshness and charm now oozes insincerity and shallowness and a kind of political naiveness which must be worrying his supporters.

To hear him on the today show promising Gordon Brown a "bare knuckle fight" on hospitals made me laugh as I recall this is the bloke who said he wanted an end to "punch and Judy politics"

Yet again he has hardly made a murmer and this was meant to be him fighting back and putting himself back on the front foot. He is struggling, and showing real signs of weakness and distress during his first political test, do people really want someone so flimsy to lead the country?

28-
    Cameron arguing in the media that two hospitals should not be closed......when they are not closing at all.
    Aren't you a little old to believe in fairy tales. Since when was an official denial anything but proof that the accusation is true??? These will be the same Trusts who didn't have any deficit problems then will they?

What's an accounting deficit got to do with Cameron saying publicly something is closing when it is not?

...and he hasn't apologised yet, one of his little MP's apologised himself to his local trust, as the Boss couldn't give a monkey.....busy planting a tree and waiting 25 years for it to recycle his Co2!!!!

The real point is that when you are leader of the opposition you have to make your opponents life difficult - that is all you have to do. He is failing in a major way at the moment. Mistakes like he has been making over the past few weeks would be fatal in a general election campaign where every little mistake is siezed upon.

I dont belive for one minute Gordon Brown will go to the country in the Autumn but by putting out the line that he is thinking about it sends the message to the country that he believes Cameron is weak. That drip drip message gets into the publics mind and that is when you have to make sure you are top of the game. He failed miserably.

Lets be honest here. He dont care about those hospitals and that is why he has been so sloppy in the research and the presentation of it. It smacks of amateurism. He will get caught out time and time again because the things he is tackling the government on are things he and his party dont really care about or understand fully. YOu only have to look at how long these campaigns last. Usually it is an interview on the Today Show, then some kind of speech in front of a logo of a tree and then a mopping up exercise when it is rumbled that it is all spin and sloppy spin at that. It is all forgotten in a day or two because there is no beef to anything he does, its all flimsy and wishy washy. Next week it will be something else the focus group has told him to talk about. Looking at the papers at the moment it will probably be human rights or underage drinking. It will be equally ill thought out, vacuous and forgettable though because he is flitting from subject to subject and listening to advisors and not his shadow cabinet as they are all on holiday and talentless anyway.

I dont care, I want Labour to win the next election andI still think what he is trying to do with modernising the Tory party is the right thing too. I just dont think he is very good at it when it comes to the crunch, he is lacking in political gravity and it is showing now the phoney war is over and he is facing a more disciplined Labour party.

Is the war over?

They kept that quiet.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time. Like tears in rain. Time to die.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter View Post
    The real point is that when you are leader of the opposition you have to make your opponents life difficult - that is all you have to do. He is failing in a major way at the moment. Mistakes like he has been making over the past few weeks would be fatal in a general election campaign where every little mistake is siezed upon.

I dont belive for one minute Gordon Brown will go to the country in the Autumn but by putting out the line that he is thinking about it sends the message to the country that he believes Cameron is weak. That drip drip message gets into the publics mind and that is when you have to make sure you are top of the game. He failed miserably.

Lets be honest here. He dont care about those hospitals and that is why he has been so sloppy in the research and the presentation of it. It smacks of amateurism. He will get caught out time and time again because the things he is tackling the government on are things he and his party dont really care about or understand fully. YOu only have to look at how long these campaigns last. Usually it is an interview on the Today Show, then some kind of speech in front of a logo of a tree and then a mopping up exercise when it is rumbled that it is all spin and sloppy spin at that. It is all forgotten in a day or two because there is no beef to anything he does, its all flimsy and wishy washy. Next week it will be something else the focus group has told him to talk about. Looking at the papers at the moment it will probably be human rights or underage drinking. It will be equally ill thought out, vacuous and forgettable though because he is flitting from subject to subject and listening to advisors and not his shadow cabinet as they are all on holiday and talentless anyway.

I dont care, I want Labour to win the next election andI still think what he is trying to do with modernising the Tory party is the right thing too. I just dont think he is very good at it when it comes to the crunch, he is lacking in political gravity and it is showing now the phoney war is over and he is facing a more disciplined Labour party.

Nice speech , TH......

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

Cheers Merl,

Was trying to do my best to be objective not partisan. Truth is I think everyone other than one-eyed blues know that Cameron will not be Prime Minister as he is not up to scratch. Whether that is due to him getting the job unexpetedly at too young an age (mainly due to a dreadful conference speech by David Davies) or a long term political weakness we will never know.

Opposition leaders dont win elections, Prime Minister lose them and Gordon Brown will not be doing that in a hurry. His only decision now is to make sure Cameron is still leader when he calls the election and as I cant see even the Tory Party stabbing him in the back in the next 18 month, that means Brown can pretty much call it when he likes. Surely its got to be Spring 2008 and I would guess that a comfortable 80 + majority will be secured. It wont mean Cameron is a total failure because he had to modernise and has at least given that impression, but its going to need a man of substance and stature to carry it through to the stage where the party is ready to govern and that man aint Dave.

He is all sounbite, TH....

Nothing more , nothing less……..His job is easier than Kinnocks was…but Kinnock was a real man…..Cameron is a dead duck…

The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.

Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    He is all sounbite, TH....

Nothing more , nothing less……..His job is easier than Kinnocks was…but Kinnock was a real man…..Cameron is a dead duck…
    Dead ducks are useful, you can eat them.....no way would I sink my teeth into Camermong

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    26....The plonker should be DEPORTED.....Smackhead.....
    Appendix 1:

Just trying to catch up with some posts I've missed.

You're quite right Keith and TH, how stupid can Cameron get accusing the Government of closing down 29 hospitals when in fact they are ONLY closing 27 our much needed hospitals. The stupid man will never learn.
    PS. Got my smilies back

Furthermore, can't be all that long since Dr Reid (ex communist/ex alcoholic)was warning us that if the Conservatives were in power they would close our hospitals and ruin the NHS.

Yes, you have to laugh, sad thing is some people actually believe the lies (spin ) they tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    You're quite right Keith and TH, how stupid can Cameron get accusing the Government of closing down 29 hospitals when in fact they are ONLY closing 27 our much needed hospitals. The stupid man will never learn.

29- "ContactPoint". Never heard of it? Not surprised. It is the new all singing all dancing government database that from 2008 will keep records in a big-brother style of every under-18 in the country, including medical and school records, social work records etc etc etc.

Ignore for a second the sheer invasiveness of this system and whether it is anything more than a solution waiting for a problem and instead consider that I wrote "every child under 18" above. It is, in fact, a lie. Those of us who happen to be "celebrities" or politicians will most likely be exempt "for security reasons".

To digress slightly, since the 1970's El Al, the Israeli airline has THE best security record, and given the extra threat they face that is fine going. And the reason for this can be found in 1 simple premise. Despite having double baggage screening, profiling of all passengers, interview of many passengers and armed sky marshalls on every flight, occasionally they give a random ticket to one of the security officials. Effectively "you say the plane is safe, get on it".

So my message to you. If any Govt wants a far-reaching database of all your details (ID cards?) the first question to ask is "Will the PM and his family be included?". If the security is not sufficient for them, it is not sufficient for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    Furthermore, can't be all that long since Dr Reid (ex communist/ex alcoholic)was warning us that if the Conservatives were in power they would close our hospitals and ruin the NHS.

Yes, you have to laugh, sad thing is some people actually believe the lies (spin ) they tell.
    so 27 hosipitals are shutting then? are you certain you aint spinning that tov? if I read the facts wrong and those 27 hospitals will no longer exist then I must say cameron disappoints me even more.

how ineffectual can a leader of the opposition be if he has to drop a campaign on the health service after one bungled day? I prefer to believe that the hospitals are not closing and you are doing exactly what you so bitterly accuse the politicians of doing - you naughty spin doctor you.

.....Nice one , TH...

Mark Twain.

30- http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showt...845#post434845

A Tony Blair supporter excoriating DC politician for "spin"?

A Gordon Brown supporter excoriating DC for announcing the same ideas twice? (at least it is only ideas and not so-called investment, i.e., spending. If Brown really did "release" as much cash as he announced our national deficit would be on a par with the US)

I'll be kind and say this is a result of misguided loyalty rather than hypocrisy!

Remember that the Opposition cannot make policy, they can only present ideas. Therefore, opposition is all about image and ideas by definition, whereas the business of government should be result driven rather than "spin".

Thread Information