Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Monuments to Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    I kind of figured you were really a Green Party man Tov... must be the tank top, wispy beard and biodegradeable sandals that gave it away...

It's funny how you see the last 10 years as wasted and the next 20 to put it right when I saw the previous 18 years as wasted and likely to take just as long to put right...
    Can't wear sandals Big C, whatever colour they are.:D

Ive never thought of you, from what Ive read of your postings on here, as a conservative Tov.

A Norman tebbut style unreconstructed Thatcherite maybe but never a conservative. I suspect im closer to the current conservatives, and the pre 1985 conservatives than you are. If i had to guess at your political persuassion (not that im interested) I would hazard a guess at UKIP or some other fringe party.

Thats not a critisism of your opinion, just me explaining what my perception of what your views are seeing as you brought it up.

As for the vote on Iraq in the house, then you could ask the current leader of the conservative party how he voted or an of his shadow cabinet? Parliament is not where decisions to go to war are taken, to believe otherwise is naiviety in the extreme. It was basically a vote of confidence in him before he took the country to war, the opposition quite rightly voted in favour, if you are looking for principled opposition to the war then you found it on the labour back benches and amongst the Lib Dems. You are barking up the wrong tree, if you think thats going to be the issue in 2008, that was done to death in 2005 and we still ended up with a Labour Prime Minister.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter View Post
    Ive never thought of you, from what Ive read of your postings on here, as a conservative Tov.

A Norman tebbut style unreconstructed Thatcherite maybe but never a conservative. I suspect im closer to the current conservatives, and the pre 1985 conservatives than you are. If i had to guess at your political persuassion (not that im interested) I would hazard a guess at UKIP or some other fringe party.

Thats not a critisism of your opinion, just me explaining what my perception of what your views are seeing as you brought it up.

As for the vote on Iraq in the house, then you could ask the current leader of the conservative party how he voted or an of his shadow cabinet? Parliament is not where decisions to go to war are taken, to believe otherwise is naiviety in the extreme. It was basically a vote of confidence in him before he took the country to war, the opposition quite rightly voted in favour, if you are looking for principled opposition to the war then you found it on the labour back benches and amongst the Lib Dems. You are barking up the wrong tree, if you think thats going to be the issue in 2008, that was done to death in 2005 and we still ended up with a Labour Prime Minister.
    I'm not too sure I understand your post, TH, or maybe it is that you don't understand my point. I was pointing out, in my own way and leaving you to read between the lines, that thisPrime Minister of Conviction, this Highly Principled son of the Church (even if it is the Wee Free), was not what he pretends to be. He is just another bag of wind and hot air waffle like the last one (you know, the one who has so quickly been airbrushed out of the Labour Party picture - remember him HIS NAME IS TONY BLAIR )

Where did the current leader of the Conservative Party come into it.

If you think the Iraq War won't be remembered in 2008 just because you drew a line under it in 2005 you are very much mistaken. Twenty, thirty, even forty years from now the children of those lads who have died or been brutally maimed fighting Blair's illegal war will still be cursing him and probably thinking how could any right minded person vote for him.

Now look what you've done, my cocoa's got a skin on it.

I was explaining that if you were going to question Mr.Brown why he voted in favour then you could also question the leader of the opposition why he voted in favour. Maybe it was becasue they thought it was the right thing to do at the time and perhaps they still do. Ive not heard the Prime Minister say say he wanted to vote the other way so thats another thing he can be judged on. He and the leader of the opposition both voted identically and to my knowledge both have stood by that decision of theirs.

I did not say the Iraq war would be forgotten in 2008, but it will not be an election issue. That is why the Lib Dems are in such a poor state as compared to 2005. Its not going to be an election issue. You are obviously very opposed to the Iraq war and I got to say im not exactly enamoured with it either. But as I have explained many times before to you I think the then Prime Minister did what he thought was in the countries best interests much to the damage of his own popularity. I wish he had not put so much store in the Anglo-Us alliance and had moved much closer to our European partners but he chose as has many Premiers to stand side by side with America and has to be respected for sacrificing his own popularity to maintain that relationship. I very much doubt, Mrs.T, Michael Howard, John Major or David Cameron would have done anything different at all and if Gordon Brown is the man I think he is I dont think he would have either.

In 20 years time maybe it will be a different story and we will have new allies, but make no mistake if you want to be an influence in todays world you need to be an ally of one of the superpowers and this country is still conservative in the respect that the only realistic ally given the choice between the US and the Franco-German led Europe was the Americans and Blair just had the misfortune to be Premier while George W Bush was on watch.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    No, Keith, Brown is NOT a new director.
    So let's say you are Finance Director at BT, second in command, and the boss drops dead....you get the No.1 job, so you pend your full term carrying on exactly what the previous guy done? :splapme You have no of your own ideas over the years when you are 2nd in command? Of course you do, and once you are No.1, a lot of things change as you then have full power.

Same thing happens in war when the general is killed, a new of is promoted, and he tries different ideas/strategies even though it appeared he was doing exactly the same as the previous guy before he was promoted.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    The last time I voted Tory was sometime back in the seventies, when Thatcher won her last election.
    I agree TH. Thatcher's last election victory was in 1987.:wink
    Her first was 1979.:)

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

I bet if she said she was coming back, she'd do better in the polls than Cameron :)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyminer View Post
    I agree TH. Thatcher's last election victory was in 1987.:wink
    Her first was 1979.:)
    I think he meant instead of Kinnock & Co. losing them!

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyforfun View Post
    44- Gordon Brown (Failed Trader). At least Nick Leeson only lost £800 million......

.....£4.4 million That's right, a shortfall of merely, err, £22 billion. And with the Bank of England prostituting what's left of our reserves starting today, lending £10 billion a time against mortgage collateral you might want to consider just how strong a government gurantee can be.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. Failed to predict that not 1 penny of the £10billion auction would be taken up. Why? Because any bank in trouble can borrow anonymously from the ECB at a much lower rate.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Failed to predict that not 1 penny of the £10billion auction would be taken up. Why? Because any bank in trouble can borrow anonymously from the ECB at a much lower rate.
    I call that clever, clever, clever. Offering the money, letting the public know you support the banks, knowing full well it was a safe bet.:)

Left at the Dog and Crown, 1st left, keep right, just after the War Memorial
    there would have been a run on any bank taking up that money. Whats really stupid is anyone in the general public believing his was a geuine offer. Surely anyone could see that it was a win-win for Brown. I can't believe he keeps getting away with these publicity stunts.......

No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner

Thomas Dewar

because there's no credible alternative Jonny.:)

45-
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I'll also have 2/3 glasses of wine most evenings - counts as 1 portion of fruit in my book :)
    This 5 portions a day thing drives me nuts, but not as nuts as my wifes take on it. Would you believe she doesn't count wine, cheese, chips, potatoes or pasta as fruit or veg?!?!

I also count onion and garlic in pasta sauce as 2 portions...

45-

This 5 portions a day thing drives me nuts, but not as nuts as my wifes take on it. Would you believe she doesn't count wine, cheese, chips, potatoes or pasta as fruit or veg?!?!

I also count onion and garlic in pasta sauce as 2 portions...
    She needs educating mate. I had onion, olives, mushroom and peppers on my pizza last night. Add the chives in the cheese & chive dip and there's my five for the day. It's so easy.

You have to get up before the birds and crap on the doorstep if you want to see buffalo playing pinball in the spring.

© Dave Courtney's Nan

It took me 41 years to get in the habit of a banana for breakfast......just started on peppers, mange tout, mushrooms, etc 3 X a week......I'll have 5 apples on my death bed and see if it gives me an extra year

46- English football commentators commentating on games involving Scottish teams. STOP PATRONISING US YOU BS.

All the way through Lyon vs Rangers last night:

"What a surprising result"
    "Nobody expected this"

and so on ad nauseum. You hear teh same when Celtic play in Europe or the national team play.

Well, I've got news for you, we are in the Champions League on merit and beat the German champions 2 weeks ago. The Scottish national team beat France home and away and are top of a group containg the last World Cup finalists while England languish in 2nd place in an "easy" group.

Message to Sky - SORT IT OUT!

47- Anyone seen Bringing Up Baby (Tuesdays on Ch4) where 6 couples are divided into 3 groups and use different startegies to deal with tehir newborn kids. Is there anything less suited to trial by TV?

One group practises teh "Continuum Concept" where baby is in a sling all day and sleeps in the parents bed. They are doing great with baby not crying and getting lots of sleep, but I will be interested to see what happens when they try to move the little buggers into their own rooms.

Then there is the "Dr Spock" method of do what comes naturally. All well and good especially considering those following this approach seem to have their heads screwed on.

But what monstrosity is the "3rd way" of Claire Verity. To cut a short story short. Baby will feed on the hour every 4 hours. In between it will be put out in the garden during the day and in it's own cot in it's own room, swaddled at night. If it cries it is left to cry, no vistors allowed (including grandparents!) and apart from feeding and changing the parents are limited to 10 minutes contact a day. That is fg evil!

I can't understand why the people doing this are continuing, even though both mothers are finding it very difficult as it goes totally against their instincts. (The fathers love it 'cos they don't have to do anything). Th eworst bit was the parents of 14 day old twins going out for a meal saying "This vindicates the routine that we are back to a normal life after 2 weeks". Cut to the house with 2 screaming children while Verity stands smugly outside refusing to comfort them.

Reality check - if you don't want kids to change your lifestyle - DON'T HAVE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE...

It seems to me there is a common theme between most of these hard case nannies - none of them have had kids, Gina Ford and "Supernanny" to name but 2 others.

I would have thought that if you were going to rant about Scottish/English football commentators then you'd mention Alan Hansen who is always in the BBC studio for England games and talks about them in terms of "we" and "us"

Quote Originally Posted by OFF
    46- English football commentators commentating on games involving Scottish teams. STOP PATRONISING US .
    But it was a kinda surprising result, wasn't it?

In Peza's predict a score competition, all but one predicted a home win for Lyon

All except me that is, and I only thought you'd get a draw

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

It is just 1 example of a long line of Jimmy Hillisms. And yes, I agree, Alan Hansen is a plonker.

I'll tell you what though, what a surprising result last night eh? Rangers beating Lyon, no one expected this kind of result.

48- Hairy lefties really annoy me with their black and white view of the world and rampant hate for capitalism, the same goes for environmentalists.

I couldn't put the argument any better than this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/arti...HGes4eyaa7YWsA

And as for environmentalists, they hate Land Rovers but a Defender is vastly more environmentally sound than a Prius. For a start, something like 75% of Defenders ever built are still going! And, they are a simple lump of steel with a straightforward engine, so are easy to recycle (what isn't taken for spare parts). The mining practises to recover the simple metals required to build one are also relatively benign. Contrast and compare to the Prius so-called eco-friendly Prius. A Prius is only more environmental than even a Hummer if (and it's a big if) it runs for 10 years or more!

Dida near the end of the match against Celtic a few mins ago :D:D

Bit of a surprise that Celtic result really. No-one expected that did they? :wink

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    Bit of a surprise that Celtic result really. No-one expected that did they? :wink

Well done Celtic!

Vic is offline Advanced Racing Club Member

Well done Celtic!
    Praise indeed from the Blue side of town.
    Jimmy Johnstone will no doubt be doing a jig on his cloud :)

Great result for all the GB teams, especially the result at Anfield :)

Never gonna happen, but how about Arsenal v Rangers, Chelski v Celtic in the semi's

Good luck - Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Never gonna happen, but how about Arsenal v Rangers, Chelski v Celtic in the semi's
    That would be too easy Vic - it would mean the first ever all Scottish final :wink

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    That would be too easy Vic - it would mean the first ever all Scottish final :wink
    If they'd got that far BigC. I think the form wouldn't count for much, so with the fanatical support both the Scottish teams have, it wouldn't be such a surprise. Got to get to that stage though first.:D

We can dream Sparky... If both teams go through to the next stage it'll be a great boost for Scottish football, if either of them get any further it'll be a bonus... it's obviously a possibility, but still quite a way to go yet.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Thread Information