Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: More BBC unease

More BBC unease

Does anyone else feel the same sense of unease and outrage about the latest "adverts" on the BBC trying to encourage people to buy DAB radios as Christmas presents this year?

The BBC have spent millions of tax-payers money switching to digital radio services but most listeners have, quite sensibly, come to the conclusion that their £5 transistor radio works just as well as a £100 DAB radio.

Personally I think it's scandalous of the BBC to run "advertising" of this nature - surely that's the job of the radio manufacturers who stand to profit from the sale of DAB radios rather than the public service organisation whose job is to provide the signal.

It's also an admission that DAB hasn't revolutionised the world of radio - hardly surprising given that its coverage is poor compared to FM and that, where stations are digitally broadcast, it's in mono rather than stereo. Just like BBC3 and BBC4, millions of pounds are being squandered on services that people don't actually want to a user-base of about 10,000 people.

Aha...maybe this explains why they're so keen to promote the sale of DAB radios
    http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...w-forecast.php

"the forecast sales for 2008 are a massive 50% below"
    "cumulative sales will be 18% below previously forecast by the end of this year "
    "cumulative sales will be 30% below what they had previously forecast by the end of next year"

And yet this article explains why people aren't buying into the technology that the BBC seems so keen to want to push people towards:
    http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...years-time.php

"existing stations that use the old MP2 format will probably be switched off completely in the UK in around 7-8 years' time"

"DAB radios being sold in the shops today will not be able to receive any of the many new stations that will launch using the new AAC+ format in the coming years"

Like I said above, this seems pretty scandalous to me.

DAB doesn't work under the Mersey tunnek, Bit I can still get Radio 2 & 4 on the normal box :) Which is better then eh?

Why not complian to the Advertsing Authority? I did about British Gas...and won :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

There are 2 issues here

1- BBC advertising. It's getting ridiculous now and I for one would happily see the notional value of it's internal advertising knocked off the license fee. (at a higher rate than commercial advertising as it runs a monompoly)

2- I'm all for progress but sometimes what seems like a step forward to techno wonks seems liek a step backwards to me. As has been pointed out above, existing radio frequencies can be picked up by very cheap, durable and simple transistor radios, why overcomplicate? It is another example of a solution looking for a problem.

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

Will you stil be able to use alternative radios when they wsitch off all the analogue signals?

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

Anyone else also notice how Sports Personality of the Year was sponsored with the sponsors logo prominently displayed and referred to? It now appears that the BBC want both a licence fee and external advertising revenue.

The official response from the BBC is that it was the event that was being sponsored but not the program...but surely, without the program their wouldn't have been an event? More weasel words, I suspect.

And Vegy, the answer is no. Just like the digital TV saga, the public are being forced to shell out on technology they don't want simply because Auntie thinks it's best for us.

Left at the Dog and Crown, 1st left, keep right, just after the War Memorial
    Scrap the license fee, sell it off to a private organisation that can see the sense in closing down peripheral channels like BBC 235 and Radio Mongolian Youth 6 and start running the place in the real world....

Simple innit ?? :D

No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner

Thomas Dewar

Or they could give Win2Win free sponsorship on any programs to do with ADHD which we all get after a race :D

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Thread Information