Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Macbook Air. Or not so.

Macbook Air. Or not so.

I'm afraid to say, it seems Apple have made a bit of a blunder with this product.

The new Macbook Air, skinnier than a stick insect and sexier than Kelly Brook... but... it has NO OPTICAL DRIVE!

Now, I can appreciate the fact that it is aimed at 'elitists' who 'already have a mac' and wish to 'wirelessly connect, wirelessly download, install, transfer, shake a sticky thumb at, do the okey kokey... and all the rest of it using their existing mac or PC, but I still can't see the logic in it. And you know the most abhorrently frustrating thing about this? They provide disks with it. Install disks, factory reset disks, driver disks, with a product that doesn't have a flippin' CD drive.

Way to go Steve!

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

What's an optical drive?

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

A standard CD drive.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Why's it called an optical drive, rather than a CD drive?

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I don't know but it's taken John 37 minutes to find out so far

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

it's because the data is read by an optical device (a laser) whereas your hard and floppy disks are magnetic. Which is why it's always a good idea to 'clean' your hard drive from time to time with a powerful magnet as that sucks up any stray pieces of data that may be slowing the hard drive down.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    ...Which is why it's always a good idea to 'clean' your hard drive from time to time with a powerful magnet as that sucks up any stray pieces of data that may be slowing the hard drive down.
    Because this can be quite a tricky operation to carry out, it is suggested that if you are thinking of doing this to your own machine you seek professional help.

You can't upgrade the memory or even remove the battery either as it's attached to the mother board, which sounds a bit of a pain.
    I wouldn't care about it not having a DVD drive as you can get a USB one for £20

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that ...

George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
    I wouldn't care about it not having a DVD drive as you can get a USB one for £20
    Which ruins the whole 'portable' idea!

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Which ruins the whole 'portable' idea!
    Not really, as you would leave the drive at home most of the time. I hardly ever use my DVD drive unless I've got a new program or need to restore the operating system.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that ...

George Carlin

Thread Information