Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Names required please!

Arrow Names required please!

Hello all,

One of my housemates sings opera, and in the future she would like to start her own opera workshops for post-graduate students who have studied opera. These workshops would be aimed at those who wish to continue learning about opera after university and/or those who have left it too long after graduating, and want to return to singing on a more regular basis.

These workshops will offer students the opportunity to get together at drop-in classes, almost working in the same way they were at university but much more expressively, freely and flexibly.

That's pretty much all the information I have.

So, a new opera workshop organisation needs a name... what should this be called?

• It must be catchy
    • It must be appealling
    • It can be a single buzzword, but doesn't have to be
    • It must not incorporate her name
    • It can be an acronym that stands for something... (she hasn't said this, but it could potentially work if strong enough)
    • It can't, obviously, be a name that's already been taken

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all can come up with! Please reply on this thread with your suggestions. Post anything you want as long as it's not offensive in any way. Be as wacky and expressive as you wish... :D

Thanks for your help.

BEL CANTO — (Italian, ‘fine singing’)

Erm, off the top of my head as there's a Royal Opera house, how about

Singing In The Reign. :D

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

Cosi Fan Tutor
    Opus (Latin for work and the singular of opera)
    Continuo - if people are to continue their studies, and this is a musical term too

Unoriginal

The New Opera Workshop Organisation :D

Original

Opera Teets

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

Tenors & Sopranos

Or

Vocal Range

“One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child.”

-Forest Witcraft

How about Operatives

FA Cup winner and UEFA cup Winner 2008

Continuo - very much like
    Operatives - very much like

Bel Canto - quite like

Vocal Range - a bit plain

The rest I don't really understand! Will put forth the ones I like. :) Thanks for your help!

Any more for any more?

Workshopera

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

Cheers Matt - nice usage. :)

Last night after I'd been out with work to an animation screening, I got home hoping Opera Girl still be up and awake. She was. She told me some news. She wants to move out for reasons connected to our landlord and the singing. It was a bit of a shock to say the least. I've had probably the worst day today for a very long time. Three hours sleep, a mild hangover (we stayed up till 3am talking about all things philosophical with a bottle of wine, after I'd already had about 3 or 4 drinks) and I didn't sleep until 5am thinking about the entire evening.

You know what it's like... drinks, dimmed lighting (never rented a place with dimmers before!), CD playing... You get the picture. Nothing happened though. But tell me this, why are the best nights always the ones where someone tells the other one bad news?!

It's very strange, because I feel more of a connection with her than I do my other housemate... you know, just when you actually start to get to know someone and start making funny jokes and play humour. And yet I've been living with my other housemate for about 2 months longer, which makes a big difference when it's early days.

So, the Norwegian housemate doesn't know that Opera Girl is moving out because - again - she's in Norway (and yeah, she'll probably move back too soon... I can sense it). Opera Girl is oop North for a week.

So, I'm rather depressed, my sister cancelled tonight (we were supposed to be going for a curry), I've got one plan tomorrow to meet a friend but apart from that nothing! On my own for an entire week, it'll be like living in York again only slightly more bearable. And the best thing is that my poker is getting better so I can spend a good portion of the weekend playing poker and enjoying some sun.

Anyway, perhaps this shouldn't actually be in this thread, but whatever... I'm not going to move it. I've been waiting all day to tell a proper version of that story and get it off my chest.

Anyone for a pint? :D

silax is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

i'll have a pint john.

Maybe the 'connection' can continue after she has moved on John. May be easier if you're not living together

Is this to be person F? :D

If she's staying fairly local John, then why don't you try to arrange something casual where you meet up once a week for a drink or meal or something.

Yeah, yeah... I hear you... :)

It won't be the same not living together though. We'll see what happens. I'm trying not to think about it for a while given she's away for a week... but it's all that is going through my head!

First thing she said was 'will you come round and visit ALL the time?' so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I thought moving to London would enable me to settle in quickly, and so far I have done just that, but now I'm faced with one and potentially both my housemates leaving already (I know it hasn't happened yet!)

And yeah, I might be overreacting, but I like to whinge. :D

john you have to slip her one before she moves out its part of your tenancey agreement

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Quote Originally Posted by Street cry View Post
    john you have to slip her one before she moves out its part of your tenancey agreement
    it must be in the very small print :wink

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Quote Originally Posted by Street cry View Post
    yes my sentiments exactly if she dosen't want you now its never gonna happen take the cow by the udders and see what happens the worst thats gonna happen is she says i just want to be friends which is where you are at the minute and i can't really see the point of having female friends if you're not sleeping with them.

The Operas Beggars Sing.

Slightly rearranging the famous "The Beggars Opera" only hear I am implying Beggars as beginners and as they are students they are possibly ‘beggars’ or ‘buggers’ (as in naughty nuisance) too.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

It's not so much the fact that things could've happened the other night and may in the future that is on my mind. It's the fact that she wants to move out and that's the only thing right now that I actually care about.

Silax I can't really understand how you don't see the point of having female friends if you're not sleeping with them but there you go. I have plenty of female friends who are just that... but then I guess I'm "too much of a nice guy" at times...

Marcus good to hear from you, hope you're well. Thanks for your name suggestion but I feel it's a little long-winded. Nice idea though.

Think I'm going to go with Continuo as she seems to like it so will start developing design ideas this afternoon and see what I can come up with. Cheers Mat!

Bit of an update on the situation...

Opera girl IS moving out. Tomorrow, in fact. Only down the road though, to a top floor studio flat where she can sing her heart out from the rooftops. We've a new girl moving in this Saturday... I showed her round on Friday night, we ended up drinking wine, I tend to fall into that habit a lot, it was only meant to be a house viewing for her! :D Very pleased, this was after three weirdos came during the week so I'm pleased to have found someone on the same wavelength as me!

Anyway we'll see how things go, Opera Girl's already said she wants me to visit her all the time so hopefully I won't have to break down the door to see her. :D

My other Norwegian housemate is having a 2 week trial at a design agency which she's enjoying but it means she has to get up at 5.30am to get there for 9. So if they offer her a job at the end of it then I'll be searching for, yet again, another new housemate...

Aargh! Oh, and Continuo might be off the cards, we've a new name 'Operatic' or 'Operratic' hmm can't decide which looks better and wish she'd make her mind up so I can brand the bloody thing!

Continuo by far the best suggestion.. tell her to stop trying to fix somethng that is now well mended.

Resident Believer.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Silax I can't really understand how you don't see the point of having female friends if you're not sleeping with them but there you go. I have plenty of female friends who are just that... but then I guess I'm "too much of a nice guy" at times...
    john ask yourself if this was a male friend moving out would you be as bothered, then ask yourself why you wouldn't be as upset because deep down you want to have her babies. its simple really.
    i think it all comes down to the hunter gatherer syndrome your male mates are your hunter chums and your female freinds are the objects of the hunting so to speak now answer this truthfully and tell me that at one time or another wether alcohol induced or not you haven't thought about each of your female friends and thought i wonder what she would be like in bed.
    i'm not talking about girls you say hello to and small talk when you meet but actual friends.

Deep down maybe I do want to have her babies but the fact of the matter is she's a bit out of reach. Little internal things like wine aside, she's a lot taller than I am plus she's still with her boyfriend anyway. Besides she's away all weekend, and last week, on two occasions when she invited me and my housemate to go and see her new place she then decided she was too tired and could we leave it for one night next week so I'm not feeling especially fond of her at this very moment in time anyway!

If it was a male friend moving out - well that would depend wouldn't it? If we got on really well then yes of course I'd be gutted but it's a different sort of being gutted isn't it. It's a different feeling.

Hunter gatherer - I like your erm, theory... and yes, to answer your question of course I have... I mean there's Persons B and D to start with not to mention all of the other friends I have who mostly happen to be female.

Anyway the point is... is that she's moved out now, and I won't see her till next week anyway. Got her a card and two small grocery presents she will be amused by... but they'll have to wait now because she's 'too tired'.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Anyway the point is... is that she's moved out now, and I won't see her till next week anyway. Got her a card and two small grocery presents she will be amused by... but they'll have to wait now because she's 'too tired'.

Not a turnip shaped like a I hope

Ha, tempted to add it to the bag.

Thread Information