Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnny's STT Tracker

Arrow Johnny's STT Tracker

I've decided in order to discipline myself I'm going to keep a running diary of how I'm doing. All tournaments are:

$16 ($15+$1) NLHE 9-seated STTs (Turbo) where the top 3 are paid out as follows:

1st $67.50
    2nd $40.50
    3rd $27.00

I will post comments now and again on how I think I'm performing but mainly it will contain a list of finishing places so it's easy for me to keep track of. It's early days, I don't want to turn it into any kind of spreadsheet as yet but if this takes off then I'll probably want to develop my statistics further.

Here goes...

Day 1 - Saturday 15th November

1. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd

We're off to a good start...

Day 2 - Sunday 16th November

1. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st
    2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st
    3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 6th
    4. 1 x 9-seated STT - 6th
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st

I'm not always as crap heads-up as I think I am. :)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st

I'm not always as crap heads-up as I think I am. :)
    Bloody hell - that's impressive. If you carry on like that you could become a pro.

I worked out when I started to make a living at poker that as long as I could average a profit of $10 per STT I would be ok (based on playing at least 20 per day - which is very easy when you play 4 tables at once).

At your rate you could easily make that and more - you are making $19 per STT at present.

I've never understood the attraction of bestiality but looking back over my life it does appear as though I married a cow, lived with a moose, been out with at least 5 dogs and spent a lot of time being chased by whales.

Yep, thanks, it's certainly gotten off to a good start. But as with everything I do in poker, when I try out something new it always gets off to a good start before going belly up several weeks down the line! However, I'm not getting myself into a negative mindset and I'm going to just continue what I'm doing. Yesterday I had more than my fair share of luck in two of those winning tournaments, but you often need luck in order to win.

What I have started to notice already is that people take a lot more time when it's their turn to act at this level, and don't always fire on all cylinders at once. In one situation I had pocket Queens and my greater-than-normal pre-flop raise got a single caller. Post-flop betting activity was non-existant on a very raggish board - but I was reluctant to bet out in case he was slow playing an absolute monster. When we hit the river it was me to act first so I tried to steal the pot. He raised all in. I called, without much hesitation to be honest as by this point I thought he'd had made a move if he had something. Needless to say, I won the pot against pocket Jacks. I assume he thought I had AK or similar...

Anyway, I'll be playing a couple of games tonight no doubt. Everything new I try in poker, I get a feel for, a buzz for, because they always tend to begin well. Hopefully this will continue, and by posting my results publicly I'm disciplining myself not to go into 'tilt mode' if things turn a little sour.

Must be a nice thing to make a living from poker?

In one situation I had pocket Queens and my greater-than-normal pre-flop raise got a single caller. Post-flop betting activity was non-existant on a very raggish board - but I was reluctant to bet out in case he was slow playing an absolute monster. When we hit the river it was me to act first so I tried to steal the pot. He raised all in. I called, without much hesitation to be honest as by this point I thought he'd had made a move if he had something. Needless to say, I won the pot against pocket Jacks. I assume he thought I had AK or similar...
    In lower stakes the money would have been in before the turn. In higher stakes the action would almost certainly have all been pre-flop (definitely in a cash game). The level you are playing at is very competitive and will undoubtedly involve having to make marginal decisions (these decisions are a lot easier when you are playing for $1). It's the ability to get most of these decisions correct that makes the difference.

Must be a nice thing to make a living from poker?
    It's good but I'm still not a great player. I can scrape by making £150 to £400 per day. I know that probably sounds a lot but I would love to start adding a 0 onto that. I know plenty of players who make over £1000 per day.

I watched Gus Hansen playing heads up Omaha cash on Friday (Full Tilt) and in 45 minutes he had lost over $75k.

Now that's what I call real money.

I've never understood the attraction of bestiality but looking back over my life it does appear as though I married a cow, lived with a moose, been out with at least 5 dogs and spent a lot of time being chased by whales.

Day 3 - Monday 17th November

I can see what you're saying about the way the money would have been all-in pre-flop if it was at a high professional level. I can imagine watching my hand on TV and the pros would most definitely have all their chips in before the flop. Jacks versus Queens. But is that always necessary the best way to play - aggressively pre-flop? I guess they know the approximate winning odds of every single hand they play.

If I was making £150 a day that's pretty good going to be honest! Over a week that's about 1K > £4K p/mo... £50K per year.

Tonight's results - not so good - lost just over one buy in, but I made a decent recovery. The first tournament I played I should have won, I was streets ahead but kept getting donkey calls and losing to the weaker hand. I played every hand to perfection in that tournament and when we were 3-handed I'd seen 4 flops in total and won 3 showdowns, knocking out 2 players. Sometimes that's the way it goes.

1. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 9th
    3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    4. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd

4. Pushed all-in OTB with 99 against QQ when the BB had only 700 chips left (blinds 150/300) - must learn to fold pretty much EVERYTHING at the bubble. SB (chip leader) had been folding everything orbit after orbit, I didn't expect him to call my push. Gave myself a proper telling off, but was I wrong to push? BB very much needed to make a move and I gave him an easy $27. :(

[COLOR=Gray]

[/B]
    4. Pushed all-in OTB with 99 against QQ when the BB had only 700 chips left (blinds 150/300) - must learn to fold pretty much EVERYTHING at the bubble. SB (chip leader) had been folding everything orbit after orbit, I didn't expect him to call my push. Gave myself a proper telling off, but was I wrong to push? BB very much needed to make a move and I gave him an easy $27. :(
    Actually, if you listen to or read most advice then the bubble is just about the best place in the whole game to gain shed loads of chips. Most people are firghtened of the bubble so will fold every hand regardless. Therefore, ridiculous aggression can pick up blind after blind after blind. A few of these and you are then in a position to actually lose to a caller and still be in a reasonable state.

In fact, if you believe certain people there are only two moves in an STT, all-in or fold. I tried it on $1 tables for 20 tables just as an experiment and came out just below even (it was a profit but you obviously need to take into account the registration fee), so I'm not any the wiser as to whether it's a good strategy.

Day 4 - Tuesday 18th November

Quick post, as I need to go to bed! Depending on blinds, I'm all in or fold usually. True what you say about the bubble - it's an easy area to steal blinds as most people are running scared. Can also get you into all sorts of problems though, if the chip leader doesn't give a damn and is willing to call any shove with any two cards (as I experienced tonight).

Results:

1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 9th
    4. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd

Ideally, you need to be the chipleader or second when the bubble arrives. If you are the chip leder the strategy is simple - do not pick on the short stack; although they don't want to lose, they are most in need of the double up so any reasonable hand and they will shove, whereas the player in 2nd will only call or raise with monsters.

The advice at almost any stage of a tourney is not to pick on the chip leader or the short stacks. The big stacks are able to absorb losing a few hands and the short stacks are ready to gamble out of necessity so your targets, where possible, should be the medium stacks. Steal from them, especially around the bubble. They shouldn't want to risk losing and dropping back to a short stack so shouldn't offer too much resistance.

Day 5 - Wednesday 19th November

Cheers guys, really good advice. The middle stacks are definitely the ones to target - I find if I'm the big stack then I can steal from the middler with a half decent hand as they probably won't call my all in. They'll be waiting patiently for their own opportunity. Although if you push with mediocre cards against the short stack and he calls, you're really exposed to the other two players (assuming we're at the bubble - 4-handed). If I'm short stacked I tend to push with any Ace, any K-8 or better, sometimes Q-9 or Q-T, any pocket pair or any two face cards. So far I've come out good from this strategy.

Also, if I'm the shortie, after a few steals I can find myself no longer sitting bottom, and I feel a bit of relief. I'm then very patient when I'm not longer the short stack, thus often I'm relieved when the 'new' short stack pushes and gets beaten. Although this means that when I go HU I'm fairly weak stacked.

What I also feel I can do is continue to push and push and push if I get a sequence of good hands... say A9, A7, JK, 77, K9 and eventually the short guy has no choice but to call. This has happened on a few occasions - and yeah sometimes you lose and the four of you are equal again but that's where I start to notice others getting more impatient than me. I play the waiting game and it usually works.

Anyway this is what's happened today... we've a bunch of 2nd's (which I'm really happy with, but frustrated I didn't win any), as most of the time I was heads up being the shorter stack. For some reason I don't like simply raising the SB when I'm BB and first to act. I'm all in or fold... I usually find that to push is the only way to make certain players fold, which is quite annoying. Also when I've got the lesser chip stack, I'm usually raised all in with any two cards by the other guy. Also heads up, I never flat call the BB, 9/10 times I'll get raised and have to fold - why pay for two big blinds in one orbit? Nope, it's shove or fold for me.

1. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    4. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 6th
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    8. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd

Nice going John

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

If I'm short stacked I tend to push with any Ace, any K-8 or better, sometimes Q-9 or Q-T, any pocket pair or any two face cards. So far I've come out good from this strategy.
    That's not too bad a strategy but some of those hands are easily dominated so be careful. I can't tell you what to play and what not to play as it's very situation dependent and I base my plays on feel of the table at the time but those hands are unlikely to be as live as you'd want as often as you want. Be esepcially careful playing any two ten or bigger as you can get picked off by someone holding bigger face cards, or at least one bigger card and thus dominating you.

This is a good thing to play with PokerStove for - checking the equity of hands like QTo against random hands and against a specific range. For example, it's worth checking how hands like QTo stand against the top 15% or 20% of hands so you have an idea of where you stand in bubble situations.

For some reason I don't like simply raising the SB when I'm BB and first to act. I'm all in or fold... I usually find that to push is the only way to make certain players fold, which is quite annoying. Also when I've got the lesser chip stack, I'm usually raised all in with any two cards by the other guy. Also heads up, I never flat call the BB, 9/10 times I'll get raised and have to fold - why pay for two big blinds in one orbit? Nope, it's shove or fold for me.
    I think you've got your SB and BB confused here. Heads-up the SB acts first. As for raising from the SB - depends on chip stacks etc. The golden rule with any steal is to put in enough chips to make the other player fold and not a single chip more. It's an inexact science and maybe you need to shove each time against certain opponents but that means you're exposing your whole stack when he finds a proper hand to play back with. You may find that a smaller raise will get him to throw away some hands. Perhaps worth a try.

Heads-up I find having live cards more important than having good cards. Obviously K-x or A-x are good hands and can win with just the high card but I'd rather have connectors such as 7-8, 9-T etc rather than Q-rag or J-rag. If you're being raised that often then the guy is raising light so why not call/re-raise light too?

Sounds like it's going really well to me. Keep it up.

Day 6 - Thursday 20th November

Cheers C!

Mat, yeah, it's very situation dependent. Also I have to take into account the nature of the big stack's style of play. If he's willing to call any shove with any two cards then I have to be very careful what I shove with. In most cases, this doesn't make too much difference though. I'll still push all in with a lot of confidence in my hand... I just limit that range.

Day 7 - Saturday 22nd November

2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 8th
    8. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    9. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th
    10. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    11. 1 x 9-seated STT - 6th
    12. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    13. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    14. 1 x 9-seated STT - 9th
    15. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th
    16. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st

13. Number thirteen is unlucky for some and certainly seemed to be unlucky for me. Short stacked, heads up, push all in with A-6o. Got called with 5-5. Board: A-6-5-6-5.

Anyway, a profit of just over $50 on the day I think, a little over 3 x buy-ins. :) Certainly going to spend some time soon putting this data into Excel... it's crunch time!

Day 8 - Sunday 23rd November

2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    8. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    9. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th

Frustrating end to a frustrating day. Such the Bubble Buster.

Day 9 - Monday 24th November

1. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th
    2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 8th

An odd day with all those 4ths - the difference between a disappointing day and a very good day.

Yesterday was good though. A nice profit. In fact, seeing everybody's results on here I might start playing a few more STTs, especially during the morning when the cash tables are a bit quiet.

Day 10 - Tuesday 25th November

Yeah, yesterday was quite frustrating because I kept bubbling with the better hand. When I lost with pocket 9's to 7-8 I went to bed. Anyway, a nice profit in what I think was $0.50 - better than nothing! Here's tonight's:

A good evening on the whole, despite it ending poorly. Really struggled to lay down pocket Jacks on a 6-7-8 board. The betting was crazy and I felt I put too much into the (4-handed) pot to fold the river, but I did and as it turned out saved myself a further 600 chips as the BB flopped an open-ended straight. I folded the river with about half my stack in the pot so hadn't lost everything and intended to make it back slowly. Three hands later ended up re-raising (shoving) pre-flop on the button with A-Js and got called by the initial raiser knocking me out with 8's. Wasn't to be. Anyway, I made a decent profit on the evening, and I'm really pleased to have won one. :)

Day 11 - Wednesday 26th November

3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    4. 1 x 9-seated STT - 8th
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th

Full of absolute donks tonight. Everywhere. Coupled with the fact that I shouldn't have even played, I'm absolutely shattered and never play well when so tired. Taken a bit of a hit but I'm still well up from when I started and I know I can make it back when I'm a bit more alert. Having said that, I did lose three times in the 7 tournaments with Kings - once to A-Q, once to 7-5 on the BB, once to 9-9 to a set. So you know, not a lot I could've really done. Why are there so many 4th's lately!

Day 12 - Thursday 27th November

C'est tout. :)

3. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th

. Having said that, I did lose three times in the 7 tournaments with Kings - once to A-Q, once to 7-5 on the BB, once to 9-9 to a set. So you know, not a lot I could've really done.
    just remember that big pairs are profitible,we all get runs of losing with huge hands,thats poker!!!,but the bottom line is,the other guy only got to catch 2 cards and you'r out.
    this is what fish do,if they catch one card,they will go all the way to try to get you out.you just got to grin and bear it when it happens because we make money out of these mugs

Day 13 - Friday 28th November

EP, thanks for your comments. Yes I agree with what you're saying; fortunately I haven't encountered anywhere near as many fish at this level of play (buy-in) so I'm really happy about that. Nowhere near as many idiots betting the flop like crazy as soon as they hit a middle pair or silly flush draws. I'm also noticing people are much more strategic in their play. The higher up the ladder you go, the more it becomes a game of complete logic... hence in live games the two hole cards are sometimes the least important factor. Anyway, babbling over, here are tonight's results. A bit topsy turvy but I managed a decent profit.

2. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 7th
    8. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st

You are doing really well.

I don't know how you are managing your bank roll or what your intentions are regarding moving up the levels but...

I have found this to be true.

The players at $5 and below are total fish and donks. At $10 to $20 you get a mix of really good players who are progressing, players who are happy to stay at that level for ever and play solid and ... the occasional idiot who has made a few quid a lower levels by being a luckbox and thinks they can cut it with the better players. These are the people we want at this level in order to make our profits.

When you get to the next level, flops become a thing of dreams, a turn card is merely imaginary and as for the river; pure fantasy. That is why poker on TV is edited into such a short time frame. At the top level a sit n go can last 3 or 4 hours and you will hardly ever see a flop.

If anybody has any doubts about this statement then you need to watch the LIVE Poker Million final on Sky. It will last about 6 hours and there will be about 150 hands, of which we will see a flop about 20% of the time. This becomes even smaller when the game is 3 or 4 handed.

Day 14 - Saturday 29 November

Thanks a lot CF. Couldn't agree with you more actually. It stands to reason that the higher up the levels you go, the earlier the action takes place. I have played a couple of these where the standard has been probably much better than the buy-in of $16 suggests, but not by a huge amount. When this happens the whole table can go 20 hands without seeing a flop (5 or 6 remaining) which I guess might not seem like that many but it's quite a large number considering the level of play.

As far as my bankroll goes, haven't really decided what my intentions are yet! For now I'm going to keep on plugging away. Not much point making any firm decisions until I've profited from about 500 tournaments. I've played 92 so far and I'm making a good enough profit so I'll see where I am at 250. If I think I can cut it a bit higher at some point next year then I'll give a bit of thought then to moving up the levels...

I made a spreadsheet tonight, got quite a nice graph going on in the positive direction, which is quite ironic since most of my past graphs have gone the other way! I think that might have something to do with the fact that I didn't realise until it was too late that I was playing at a donkey buy-in level. Anyway, here are today's results, pretty pleased :) although not too happy with the idiot calling my Jacks with 6-4o in tournament 10 for the bubble!

5. 1 x 9-seated STT - 3rd
    6. 1 x 9-seated STT - 2nd
    7. 1 x 9-seated STT - 9th
    8. 1 x 9-seated STT - 6th
    9. 1 x 9-seated STT - 1st
    10. 1 x 9-seated STT - 4th
    11. 1 x 9-seated STT - 5th

Nice going John :)

I was playing some cash lobby yesterday morning but there was an absolute idiot in there calling every bloody hand with anything hoping to get lucky. I finally left the table when my AQs with AT9 showing up on the flop lost to his 3 and 7 that came out on the turn and river to give him two pairs He called my pre flop raise and raise after the flop. He had been doing this continually losing most hands but occasionally getting lucky. Maybe I should have just folded but he'd had so many crap hands (As he did again here) that I thought it was just another bluff, which it was until he got incredibly lucky.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

I'm having a nightmare day.

Saturday was a great day in terms of profit per game. What happened yesterday?

Bear in mind as well that nobody wins every day and anybody who says they do is a bare faced liar.

Thread Information