Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Argh!

Argh!

The Racing Post have a new website in beta phase which means I'm going to need to do some serious updates to Auto-Sys before it goes fully live

Another new site!!! Are we talking the whole site, or the HTML racecards?

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

A whole new site with a new domain name and new structure

I haven't got as far as comparing the HTML against the old site because it's still in beta

Oh dear

It's very sllloooooowww loading the cards, and has locked up my browser twice. Looks like it using PHP, Ajax, Flash, and a few other gizmo's.

The racecards have no page address!!! Although I should be able to pull the basic scripting off the server and see them, I done that with the logon for the present site. I'll have a piddle about o Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The racecards have no page address!!!
    Oh now that would be BAD for Auto-Sys

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    Oh now that would be BAD for Auto-Sys
    It's worse than that Mat....it's using Ajax with Javascript, and all the data is cached in an array, so no racecard code at all. :splapme

Looks 99.9% at the moment you'll have to switch to the Sporting Life, or something.

As for the little boxes with each runner, I can only just see the things on my 1900x1400 screen, never mind click them!!!

I can't use the Sporting Life code, it's really not conducive to what Auto-Sys does

Most other sites list all the races on seperate pages.

What else is there apart from Sporting Life and Racing Post?

There's Turftrax but I never really got on with their cards

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    What else is there apart from Sporting Life and Racing Post?
    have you tried attheraces.com ?

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

gg.com list them but don't know if the format's any good for what you need Mat.

"I put a skylight in my apartment...... the people upstairs are furious." - Stephen Wright

My Website : http://www.mrmrsportssystems.co.uk
    Now offering three subscription based betting systems and daily free bets.
    Free bets 34.7pts up in October

Quote Originally Posted by Mattw07 View Post
    have you tried attheraces.com ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    gg.com list them but don't know if the format's any good for what you need Mat.
    Both list the races on seperate pages I think., although GG is OK, as they update the result on the same page, and I use their results page, RP one annoys me, and SL keeps crashing.

The only full page is the SL, just been through all the ones I know. Unless I can find a way to parse the array.

Yeah I got an email about this a few weeks back. The really bad things is that they are going to charge for certain functionality on the site. I went and had a look at the beta today and it looks like Forecast prices might be part of what you get when you pay...not cool.

On that note I checked out SportingLife fellas and I noticed they had some different forecast prices. I'm wondering how this will affect those systems that use forecast price as a factor? If the stats/previous results are based on RP and SL has different forecast than wouldnt it change the results?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybadger View Post
    Yeah I got an email about this a few weeks back. The really bad things is that they are going to charge for certain functionality on the site. I went and had a look at the beta today and it looks like Forecast prices might be part of what you get when you pay...not cool.

On that note I checked out SportingLife fellas and I noticed they had some different forecast prices. I'm wondering how this will affect those systems that use forecast price as a factor? If the stats/previous results are based on RP and SL has different forecast than wouldnt it change the results?

Thats what I was also thinking

Sporting Life F/c odds are pants, you would have to use Oddschecker, or a similar excellent service (just to keep BBC viewers happy!!!!!)

Hey,

I too have had a quick look at the new racingpost site and I don't think there is much doom and gloom. It will take me a little bit of time to figure out all of the HTTP-GET requests but its looking like it might actually make my life much, much easier.

As an example, have a look at these urls (after you've logged in to racingpost.com of course):
    - http://www.racingpost.com/horses/car...11-26&type=sc_
    - http://www.racingpost.com/horses/car...ate=2008-11-26
    - http://www.racingpost.com/horses/qui...race_id=102984

You can get the runners and B/F with little effort... and the format is v.nice to work with.

Yes, there may be a few more requests to the server required but, really, firing off another request makes little difference (depending on your scraping solution I guess).

I'm sure with a little bit more research I will have a complete working solution. I already use rp raceIds so my data model remains unchanged.. probably a day's work for me to make the switch to the new site.

My only fear is that certain services (e.g. B/F) will be a paid member's service in the nearing future... something I would like to keep well away from.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybadger View Post
    From http://www.racingpost.com/help/help_centre.sd

"All of the beta version of racingpost.com is currently free, but a subscription will be introduced for some premium content.

More details of subscriptions will be available soon but in the meantime, you can view all content."

:(

Thread Information