Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another U-turn.

Quote Originally Posted by mathare View Post
    Like it did when it came out in support of Hitler and Oswald Mosley's facists? Truths like how great Germany is (at the time they printed, in 1933) under Hitler and the Nazis and how the Blackshirts should be embraced in Britain?
    Must be honest Mat I don't remember too much of the Daily Mails Political leanings in 1933. It's been a wee while since then, in fact I wasn't even ******* born then. However, since you have set yourself up as such an expert on political history and the press maybe you could enlighten us all on what the Telegraph said on the same day as the Mail? Did the Telegraph agree with the Mail re Adolf Hitler or did they come up with a different opinion? And while your there what was the Mails leader on the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots? Were they for it or against it?

Oh and by the way, in 1933 who was Adolf Hitler, How many Jewish people had he killed? How many gipsies had he killed by then. Now you've got me confused, Mat. Should I give up the Daily Mail and change? But to what, which newspaper would you recommend for honest truthful reportage on current events?

WE NEED ANSWERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tovarich View Post
    Must be honest Mat I don't remember too much of the Daily Mails Political leanings in 1933. It's been a wee while since then, in fact I wasn't even ******* born then.
    I wasn't born either but the huge amount that has been documented prior to my birth allows me to learn about what's called history. Not being born when it happened is no excuse for not knowing about it, especially in this information era.

However, since you have set yourself up as such an expert on political history and the press maybe you could enlighten us all on what the Telegraph said on the same day as the Mail? Did the Telegraph agree with the Mail re Adolf Hitler or did they come up with a different opinion? And while your there what was the Mails leader on the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots? Were they for it or against it?
    I dunno about the Telegraph actually. I'll see if I can find out for you though. And I'll ignore the facetious Mary Queen of Scots comment.

Oh and by the way, in 1933 who was Adolf Hitler,
    The chancellor of Germany. The head of state and totalitarian leader, actually.

How many Jewish people had he killed? How many gipsies had he killed by then.
    I admit I don't know, because not all the facts are available to me at present. If fact I doubt exact numbers are documented in any available media, document or historic report. Kinda like the figures for the Iraq war too. The army tends not to write down exactly how many people it kills.

Now you've got me confused, Mat. Should I give up the Daily Mail and change?
    Would you, please? I wish everyone would give up the Daily Mail, to be honest. Tell you what, stop taking it for 40 days from Wednesday; it can be what you give up for Lent.

But to what, which newspaper would you recommend for honest truthful reportage on current events?
    If you have time I suggest you read as many as possible for a balanced view. Take in as many news channels as you can too, even Fox. Try and get both sides of a story. If you don't have time I suggest you read the Daily Sport instead. They cover all the major stories such as Elvis' leg op on the NHS a few years back plus obviously the Loch Ness monster being a London bus.

Labour's plan to cut the soaring deficit is not 'credible' and risks driving up interest rates and causing a slide in the pound,20 leading economists warned yesterday.

in a humiliating blow for Chanc ellor Alistair Darling, who has staked his reputation on halving the £178 BILLION deficit in four years, the experts said in an open letter there was a 'compelling case' for earlier cuts.

The Tories, who have pledged to cut budgets 'further and faster' , seized on the letter as evidence that their views were now ' the mainstream economic consensus', (Is this a policy?)

And in a second setback for Labour, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and development today warns that job losses are set to double as cuts spread to the public sector. The economists letter was signed by four members of the Bank of Englands monetary policy committee --- the panel that controls interest rates.

Probably a load of lies, after all it is reported in the Daily Mail.

I wonder if TH and Mat would agree. Or do they think it's true???

I wasn't born either but the huge amount that has been documented prior to my birth allows me to learn about what's called history. Not being born when it happened is no excuse for not knowing about it, especially in this information era.

I dunno about the Telegraph actually. I'll see if I can find out for you though. And I'll ignore the facetious Mary Queen of Scots comment.

The chancellor of Germany. The head of state and totalitarian leader, actually.

I admit I don't know, because not all the facts are available to me at present. If fact I doubt exact numbers are documented in any available media, document or historic report. Kinda like the figures for the Iraq war too. The army tends not to write down exactly how many people it kills.

Would you, please? I wish everyone would give up the Daily Mail, to be honest. Tell you what, stop taking it for 40 days from Wednesday; it can be what you give up for Lent.

If you have time I suggest you read as many as possible for a balanced view. Take in as many news channels as you can too, even Fox. Try and get both sides of a story. If you don't have time I suggest you read the Daily Sport instead. They cover all the major stories such as Elvis' leg op on the NHS a few years back plus obviously the Loch Ness monster being a London bus.
    Oh dear, dear, Mat you've let me down. I really did think you were somebody who could have a sensible argument, without resorting to sarcasm.

As it happens, I do watch bbc news, itv news, cnn news and any other I can find so yes I do get a balanced view. I also read the Daily Mail, sometimes the Telegraph and occasionally my daughters Independent but I really can't remember any of them quoting events of 1933 as a comparison to todays events.:D

And are you honestly expecting the six and a half million Daily Mail readers (I think that was the last circulation figures -- the fastest growing circulation in the country ) to stop reading the Daily Mail because of something they printed in 1933. In case you didn't know Mat, that was 77 bloody years ago, are you being serious or taking the p**s(or do you really think that is a cogent argument?

And what's so facetious about my query about Mary, Queen of Scots --- like how far back do you want to go? Just as far as it suits you, I suppose.

I'm sure that all newspapers knew in 1933 that Adolf Hitler had been elected Chancellor of Germany and totalitarian leader ,actually, but how many newspapers knew that he was going to turn out to be the monster he did. What was your newspapers take on it Mat. I'm sure we'd all like to know.

And to get up to date --- for the sake of comparisons did you know when you you voted for B Liar that he was going to kill hundreds of thousands. Lets have YOUR take on that.

or is it because The Daily Mail tells the truth ?
    (which TH hates).

So i dont read the Daily Mail, because I hate the truth.

I dont read the daily mail because it is a squalid little publication. Its an even bigger joke than the Express with their Diana obsession. Those two papers and to a lesser extent the Sun are the only Newspapers I would purposely avoid buying at all costs, becuase they are in the main agenda driven to such a ridiculous extent that it is to the detriment of their actual primary purpose which is to report news.

I have no problem reading the Telegraph or Times or any other sensible publication even if they are sympathetic to the Conservative party as they dont brazenly appeal to the far right rump in the way the mail does.

For the record of course the Tories hate Blair for winning three elections, it was Tories switching directly from the Tories to Labour because he was Leader which has led to them being out of power for 13 years. Cameron admires and respects him as well though, thats why he has modelled himself on the man

Finally you quoted a little scottish dismissing me as a little man with not a lot to say. That may or may not be true but at least what I have to say are my words and not cut and paste from The Daily Mail or any other barking single issue website. Here is another Scottish saying - "Vote anyone but Tory". How many MP's have they got up there at present? Aye, thats right, just the one.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Its The Sun or The Daily Star for me.... occasionally I also buy The News of the World or The Sunday Star..... cant beat em

And what's so facetious about my query about Mary, Queen of Scots --- like how far back do you want to go? Just as far as it suits you, I suppose.
    The Daily Mail started printing in 1896, the Telegraph in 1855. Mary, Queen of Scots was executed in 1587, nearly 300 years before newspapers were printed in the UK. Asking what a newspaper thought of those events is just silly isn't it?

And to get up to date --- for the sake of comparisons did you know when you you voted for B Liar that he was going to kill hundreds of thousands. Lets have YOUR take on that.
    I have never voted for Tony BLAIR (I am seriously bored of this B Liar thing). Did you not read my earlier post about my political leanings and my voting history?

The Daily Mail started printing in 1896, the Telegraph in 1855. Mary, Queen of Scots was executed in 1587, nearly 300 years before newspapers were printed in the UK. Asking what a newspaper thought of those events is just silly isn't it?

All very historical, Mat, and I wasn't being silly, I was just returning your sarcasm! As I said, "how far back do you have to go to find an argument?"

I have never voted for Tony BLAIR (I am seriously bored of this B Liar thing). Did you not read my earlier post about my political leanings and my voting history?
    Nope!

Nope!
    So you just ASSUMED I'd voted for Tony Blair did you? Why? What makes you think I even live in his constituency?

I am waiting for about a years time when Tov begins to give the new Tory govt some stick...I'm sure he will being the balanced fella he is. :D

"Listen to me. I can just about handle you, driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I’m going to say this once and once only, Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cIbBTkn70&feature=related

Quote Originally Posted by tophatter View Post

So i dont read the Daily Mail, because I hate the truth.

I dont read the daily mail because it is a squalid little publication. Its an even bigger joke than the Express with their Diana obsession. Those two papers and to a lesser extent the Sun are the only Newspapers I would purposely avoid buying at all costs, becuase they are in the main agenda driven to such a ridiculous extent that it is to the detriment of their actual primary purpose which is to report news.

I have no problem reading the Telegraph or Times or any other sensible publication even if they are sympathetic to the Conservative party as they dont brazenly appeal to the far right rump in the way the mail does.

For the record of course the Tories hate Blair for winning three elections, it was Tories switching directly from the Tories to Labour because he was Leader which has led to them being out of power for 13 years. Cameron admires and respects him as well though, thats why he has modelled himself on the man

Finally you quoted a little scottish dismissing me as a little man with not a lot to say. That may or may not be true but at least what I have to say are my words and not cut and paste from The Daily Mail or any other barking single issue website. Here is another Scottish saying - "Vote anyone but Tory". How many MP's have they got up there at present? Aye, thats right, just the one.
    You don't seem to get my point either, TH I am just pointing out to you that although you keep rubbishing the Daily Mail it prints exactly the same squalid news as your beloved Guardian!!! Oh, and I believe the Daily Mail is the second most popular newspaper in this once Great Britain, beating the Guardian easily which suit you TH, as an elitist. :D

All in all though, TH, you must be very proud of what your new type of Labour has done to your country. In 1997 they inherited four successive years of growth in productivity and it's only taken them 12 years to get us £3 TRILLION (?) in debt.( at least I think that was the figure mentioned on the news)

So you just ASSUMED I'd voted for Tony Blair did you? Why? What makes you think I even live in his constituency?
    Since most of your arguments are pro-labour it's an easy assumption to make.

Oh by the way Mat, do try not to be so pedantic , eh. I didn't mean for one minute that you lived in Sedgefield and put your little cross against The B Liar's name. I was talking about the overall picture, a vote for B liar being the same thing as a vote for Labour.

You are now nominated as the websites chief hair splitter. :D

Since most of your arguments are pro-labour it's an easy assumption to make.
    Why are my arguments pro-anything? I don't consider myself a Labour supporter in the slightest. Perhaps you would like to elaborate and indicate where and how my arguments thus far have been pro-Labour...

Oh by the way Mat, do try not to be so pedantic , eh. I didn't mean for one minute that you lived in Sedgefield and put your little cross against The B Liar's name. I was talking about the overall picture, a vote for B liar being the same thing as a vote for Labour.
    But that's not true is it Tov? A vote for the local MP is not a vote for the party, as you would know had you read my post on this earlier. But you are still assuming I have voted Labour and I would like to know what you are basing this on.

You are now nominated as the websites chief hair splitter. :D
    I consider that quite a compliment. In my line of work, attention to detail is essential and one highly skilled in it can earn a lot of money.

Why are my arguments pro-anything? I don't consider myself a Labour supporter in the slightest. Perhaps you would like to elaborate and indicate where and how my arguments thus far have been pro-Labour...

But that's not true is it Tov? A vote for the local MP is not a vote for the party, as you would know had you read my post on this earlier. But you are still assuming I have voted Labour and I would like to know what you are basing this on.

I consider that quite a compliment. In my line of work, attention to detail is essential and one highly skilled in it can earn a lot of money.
    1- In exactly the same way that people ASSUME that I am pro Conservative when in fact I haven't voted Toriy for over twenty odd years now. I am just Anti Labour for what they have done to my country, we are now bottom of every league and it is going to take many, many years to get this country moving again, and "Global" Gordon and his bunch of no-no's are just not competent enough in running the country. (and I am 72)

The words 'piss-up' and 'brewery' come to mind immediately.

2- Afraid you've got me there,.Mat. Can't find the post you're referring to so explain to me again. How can I vote for the Labour candidate -who might be a smashing bloke and very competent in what he does - without it being a vote for "Global" Gordon and the Labour Party ?

3- The time now is 11.49 A.M. Shouldn't you be out there earning a lot of money. :D

1- In exactly the same way that people ASSUME that I am pro Conservative when in fact I haven't voted Toriy for over twenty odd years now.
    I don't recall ever saying I had you down as pro-Tory. I try not to assume anything. You know what they say happens when you assume...

2- Afraid you've got me there,.Mat. Can't find the post you're referring to so explain to me again. How can I vote for the Labour candidate -who might be a smashing bloke and very competent in what he does - without it being a vote for "Global" Gordon and the Labour Party ?
    Have a read here. You can vote for your local Labour candidate if you think he's the best man for your constituency but that doesn't necessarily translate into a vote for for Gordon Brown as PM. They don't count all the votes Labour, the Conservatives, Lib Dems etc get and make the leader of the party with the most votes the prime minister.

3- The time now is 11.49 A.M. Shouldn't you be out there earning a lot of money. :D
    Yes, but unfortunately I am signed off work by my doctor as the NHS has been unable to diagnose my ailments for over a year now so I am being hit hard in the pocket. If I was fit to work, I would be out there earning plenty.

another u turn

I must confess that i thought this coming election was done and dusted and that the conservatives would win by default.But i have just watched on TV Mr Brown give an election speech at Coventry,and was impressed by what he said and the way he said it,i think that brown was always contemptuous of the fact that the image you present via the media is almost as important as what you say.Based on what i have just seen he has decided this is a luxury he can no longer afford?.

It has never been done and dusted.

You can not win an election without having some policies. The tories this week have again shown they are totally committed to opposition politics but are they showing they are a government in waiting?

General elections are different from any other. You are actually voting for the party to become the government rather than voting to register dissasitsfaction whilst knowing the levers of power dont change.

For example, I will be voting for a different party than the one I voted for in last years European elections.

Tories should be 15 to 20 points ahead if they want a 1997 style mandate for change. They are 8 to 10 points ahead, it will only take a point to two going back Labours way and Cameron wont even have a majority let alone a landslide.

It is not the cards you are dealt but what you do with them that counts

Thread Information