Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: The New Whip Rules - a jockeys perspective?

The New Whip Rules - a jockeys perspective?

Heard an interesting relay of tweets between a couple of jockeys yesterday - talking about the narrow handicap chase winner, Justabout - 'there's one that wont be winning from next week, had to win today.'

But I'm just beginning to wonder how much these new rules will affect the game & how many similar, 'need shove types' there are but anyway, jockey, David Crosse, he's not happy & put an interesting little blog together with a couple of videos of examples:

"As you all must know by now the amount of times we can hit horses in a race from next Monday has over halved with the penalties being five times tougher! We are now only allowed to smack a horse 8 times in total during a race (5 after the last jump) and if we go one over we get a 5 day ban and we lose our prize money and riding fee for that race, whereas before it would be a caution. Some change in rules! Now, although I can see why the BHA are doing this, I feel this is an extremely harsh penalty and jockeys are going to be the big losers with these new rules. We are the ones in this sport, going out risking our neck everyday (don’t forget it’s the only occupation where you are followed by an ambulance whilst at work) and now if you make one tiny mistake when you are trying your hardest to win a race for the owners and punters, it’ll end up costing you your livelihood.

Let me explain a bit about race riding. When you are in race and your blood is pumping and it’s all about you and your horse getting to the line first, sometimes it’s easy to lose count of how many times you’ve slapped your horse to get there. However, I, like most other jockeys, like to think I know the difference between getting the best out of a horse in a race and beating it too much. Whereas, I am not too sure if the BHA do. You’ve got to remember that we are professionals and we love our horses (that is why we do this job) and we would never want to see a horse being treated cruelly let alone do it to them ourselves!

My win on Snake Charmer last week at Fontwell, under the new rules would have meant that I would have got an 18 day ban. Watch my ride for yourself and see if you think my ride warrants a punishment of 18 days of not being able to work. Imagine if someone took away 18 days of your salary because you tried your bes
    t."

more & vids:

http://www.lovetheraces.com/voices-o...voice_tab=blog

PS: GS can now be followed on Twitter as @themastarata

I don't see why they lose the riding fee, that doesn't make sense as they still do the job of riding the horse.

I wouldn't mind but the new whips hardly hurt even if you slap your hand hard, which is probably why they aren't bought for bondage

I can't wait for a jockey to use all the hits early in the race on a stubborn horse that needs hitting at the end to win, as it'll be easy lay money

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Dear of dear - it's all a buzz:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/whip%20rule

PS: GS can now be followed on Twitter as @themastarata

If my old man had been penalised for every time he belted my backside for being a little tearaway, going by the rules the jocks have to, he'd have been banned for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If my old man had been penalised for every time he belted my backside for being a little tearaway, going by the rules the jocks have to, he'd have been banned for life.
    Why was he riding you?

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Thread Information