Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Horses i feel that are improving and on the up

Horses i feel that are improving and on the up

AMBION WOOD (IRE) (V. Dartnell)

A fascinating prospect for novice chases this season is Ambion Wood. A winner of four of his nine starts, he progressed well over hurdles last season.He got off the mark at the third time of asking, when easily winning at Chepstow on heavy ground and then next time out finished a good second to Cotton Mill (who was giving Simonsig a good race at Cheltenham next time before trying to run out) at Warwick in the Grade Two Leamington Hurdle.He ran below form next time out, but bounced back under top weight to win a valuable handicap hurdle at Sandown impressively on good to soft ground, staying on strongly over the two and a half miles trip.
    On the back of that win he was stepped up in trip to run in a decent novice hurdle at Perth over three miles and he jumped well to win very easily.I have always thought that this horse would be a better chaser and having proved himself on good to soft and heavy ground there should be plenty of opportunities for him to progress over fences. A trip of three miles appears to be right up his street, but I expect him to start over two and a half and build up.I feel that he could prove to be very good over the larger obstacles, so should certainly be followed.

BUCKERS BRIDGE (IRE) (H. De Bromhead)

One of the most eyecatching performances by a bumper horse last season was the victory of Buckers Bridge at Punchestown, where he stayed on strongly to beat Morning Royale by 9 ½ lengths, who on his previous visit to that track had won by 17 lengths.Prior to that win he had made all to easily win his rules debut at Gowran Park from More Madness who went on to run well in his next two starts, including winning at Limerick.He has the look of a chaser and I expect him to do well over fences. He won his sole start in point-to-points in Ireland and the indications are that he will be going straight over fences this season and having already proved he can handle heavy ground, he should find plenty of opportunities to maintain his unbeaten record and prove himself in the top races over the winter.His trainer rates him highly and being unbeaten it is hard to tell how good he actually is, but he is a horse I am excited about and very much looking forward to seeing run again this season.

CAPTAIN CONAN (FR) (N. J. Henderson)

Nicky Henderson had a fantastic season last year and will be looking to build on it and Captain Conan could be one of his up and coming horses that helps him in his battle to become champion trainer.After running three times in France he made his British debut at Sandown in the Grade One 32Red Hurdle where he was fortunate to beat Colour Squadron, who veered badly left handed. It was a pleasing debut though and later in the season he went on to finish second in a Grade Two race at Kelso before arguably his best performance, when finishing a good second to Darlan at Aintree, with the talented Prospect Wells seven lengths behind in third.That was a top run and he could have a future over hurdles, but judged by the size of him, it is surely only a matter of time before he embarks on a chasing career and he has the potential to be very good in that sphere. It is early days but the Arkle looks an obvious target for him.

CHAMPAGNE FEVER (IRE) (W. Mullins)

A must for this list is Champagne Fever. After finishing second on his debut under rules, he made all on soft ground to win by thirteen lengths at Fairyhouse and as a result was promoted to the head of the betting for the Weatherbys Champion bumper.On the day itself however, largely due to very different ground conditions, he was allowed to drift in the market to 16/1, but the conditions made no difference to him as under a good ride from Patrick Mullins, he made all the running and stayed on strongly to win a shade cosily.He then followed that win up with an even easier success at Punchestown, staying on well again in very testing ground to defeat a good field. It has been mentioned that he may go straight over fences, like the 1997 winner of the Cheltenham race Florida Pearl and given that he won his sole start in Irish points very impressively, there is a good chance that he will go chasing this season and he should be a major player in the top novice chases in Ireland over the winter and has every chance of returning to Cheltenham with leading claims of winning again.

DEDIGOUT (IRE) (A. J. Martin)

A very exciting novice chaser for this season is Dedigout.After finishing second on his sole start in Irish points, he joined the powerful Gigginstown House Stud team and ran well on his debut under rules, finishing second in a 22 runner bumper at Punchestown. He is clearly developing all the time though as he went from strength to strength over hurdles, winning four of his five starts.After an impressive debut success over hurdles at Punchestown on soft ground, he stayed on well to beat a useful field at Navan on heavy ground. He then tried to give weight to the useful Monksland and Lyreen Legend at Naas and bar for a mistake at the last, may have won, but he eventually finished third.On his next start he stepped up in trip to two miles six furlongs and stayed on well to win, indicating that three miles may be his trip for this season. It was his final start that really caught the imagination though, as on heavy ground he took on Grade One opposition and stayed on strongly over two and a half miles, showing a battling attitude to defeat Colour Squadron and Lyreen Legend a touch comfortably.He is now set to go chasing and on testing ground, he could do very well and I fully expect him to be tackling the top novice chases over two miles four furlongs or more this season and running well in them.

DODGING BULLETS (P. F. Nicholls)

A classy horse on the flat, Dodging Bullets impressed during his first season over hurdles, even though he was unable to win. On his hurdling debut he was thrown straight into Grade Two company and ran a race full of promise, finishing just a length and a half behind the talented Grumeti at Kempton. On only his second start, he ran in the Triumph Hurdle and ran a great race to finish a close fourth, a head behind Grumeti and the form of the race has been boosted by the successes of Grumeti at Aintree and the runner-up Hisaabaat’s win at Punchestown.His final start was at Aintree, but he was badly hampered which cost him badly, so that run is best ignored. As a result though he started this season as a maiden and must have been the highest rated maiden in training.He has already made his seasonal debut and won easily at Cheltenham, running up the hill strongly and with that confidence booster behind him, should prove a leading player in the top novice hurdles over two miles this season.It is also worth remembering that on his final start on the flat he gave Hisaabaat seven pounds and a beating and having had the summer off this year, he could come back as a seriously good jumps horse.

DON COSSACK (GER) (G. Elliott)

A top prospect for novice hurdles this season is Don Cossack.After playing up before his racecourse debut and finishing fifth, he progressed well in bumpers last season. His first victory was at Navan on heavy ground when he stayed on strongly to defeat a field of eighteen by eighteen lengths.He then tackled Grade Two Company and after being well off the pace at halfway he stayed on strongly in the final furlong to win, again on heavy ground. His final start was at Fairyhouse on quicker ground and he was a very easy winner, pulling clear of Elsie, despite giving weight all-round.His prospects for this season have been talked up by his trainer as he rates him highly and it will be fascinating to see how far he progresses. He appears to handle testing ground well, but has also shown good form on quicker going, so there should be plenty of opportunities for him, especially as he looks sure to stay two and a half miles.At this stage, he looks a leading contender for the Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham.

DYNASTE (FR) (D. Pipe)

One of the up and coming stars of last season was Dynaste.He started the season racing over the brush hurdles at Haydock and put up a very impressive performance to pull eight lengths clear of a big field that included Synchronised who went on to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup, Cape Tribulation who went on to win at both Cheltenham and Aintree and Sunnyhillboy who went so close to winning the Grand National. He then took on the mighty Big Buck’s next time out and looked to have the champ in trouble, but he eventually paid the price for trying to run the finish out of him, fading into fourth. Next time out he was ridden with a bit more constraint and ran a fine race to finish second to Big Buck’s in the Cleeve Hurdle, with Mourad ten lengths back in third. In the World Hurdle he looked good for most of the race, but faded badly from two out and he is better than that run. He is now set to go chasing and having shown a liking for brush hurdles, I have every confidence that he will take to the game. He was rated 161 over hurdles, so will not face many higher rated hurdlers over fences this season, so if he takes to it, he could go to the top. I know the yard is confident and expect him to do very well over fences and having proved his stamina over three miles, the RSA Chase looks the obvious target.

FELIX YONGER (IRE) (W. Mullins)

A fascinating prospect for novice chases this season is Felix Yonger. After running well on his sole start in bumpers, he made a promising debut over hurdles, finishing second to Daring Article on heavy ground over two and a half miles. He then easily won on heavy ground at Downpatrick before stepping up to Grade Two company at Naas, where he stayed on well to win over two miles on soft ground. On the back of that run he took his chance at Cheltenham in the Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle and stayed on well to finish second to Simonsig. He jumped and travelled well at Cheltenham and looked suited to the course, and the way he jumped, made me feel he would be even better over fences. He also has the look of a chaser and I can see him doing very well this season and developing into one of Ireland’s leading novice chasers. He handled good ground well at Cheltenham but clearly acts on heavy ground also, so there should be plenty of opportunities for him this season and it would be no surprise to see him coming back to Cheltenham as a leading fancy for the Jewson Novices’ Chase.

FLASH OF GENIUS (IRE) (W. Mullins)

A horse I am really looking forward to seeing over hurdles this season is Flash Of Genius. He ran once in Irish points, beating Penny Max (who has since developed into a decent chaser under rules) in a tight finish at Punchestown. He then had two years off the track, but returned to action in a bumper at the Punchestown festival and despite the absence, was made favourite and won easily. He travelled well throughout the race and gradually worked his way to the front approaching the straight before pulling clear to win by 24 lengths on heavy ground. It was an eye-catching performance and he looks a useful addition to the powerful Gigginstown House Stud team. Having run just twice and having an unbeaten record, he falls into the `could be anything’ category, but I have a feeling that he could prove to be up to taking on the best novices this season and running well in the top Grade One novice hurdles in Ireland.

HIDDEN CYCLONE (IRE) (J. J. Hanlon)

Included in the list last year, I see no reason to leave him out this time. A very useful hurdler, winning five of his six starts, Hidden Cyclone made his chase debut at Leopardstown over the Christmas period and there was plenty of market confidence in him. He travelled and jumped well throughout and always looked the winner, eventually easing to a two lengths success over Nearest The Pin. For his next start he stepped up to Grade Two company, but his yard was out of form at the time and although he was unable to win, he ran a fair race to finish third, just over a length behind the winner Sir Des Champs, who franked the form by winning at the Cheltenham Festival and is now favourite for the 2013 Cheltenham Gold Cup. The ground may have been a bit quicker than ideal for him also, so all in all it was a good run and he remains a horse of massive potential over fences. Due to that defeat though, the handicapper has allotted him what looks a very attractive mark of just 142 and as I consider him a potential 160+ horse, he is one I am looking out for on his handicap debut as I think he will be very hard to beat. He handles testing conditions very well and is proven over two and a half miles, but he may be even better over three miles this season, so it would not surprise me if he was to prove good enough to win the Irish Hennessy in February.

HINTERLAND (FR) (P. F. Nicholls)

A very exciting prospect for novice chases this season is Hinterland. Having already won a listed hurdle in France, he joined the Ditcheat team last season with a juvenile hurdling campaign planned, but Paul Nicholls made no secret about the fact that he thought he would be a much better chaser. He made his British debut at Cheltenham in a Grade Two contest and was very well supported in the market. That support proved valid as he travelled well throughout the race and stayed on strongly to beat the useful Hollow Tree (who went on to win the Grade One Finale Hurdle at Chepstow) by three lengths. On his next start he failed to give weight to Baby Mix at Cheltenham, but that was no disgrace; as his victor went on to win the Grade Two Adonis Hurdle later in the season. Next time out he was stepped up to handicap company and ran a credible race to finish third to Module and it has been reported that he was not 100% when falling on his final start of the season at Aintree. The reports are that he has done well over the summer and it certainly looked that way when he easily won a handicap hurdle on his seasonal debut at Chepstow. I know connections are excited about his prospects as a novice chaser and he is certainly built for chasing. I can remember him standing head and shoulders above his opposition last year and I get a feeling that he could go a long way over fences and is a serious challenger for the Arkle in March.

JOIN TOGETHER (IRE) (P. F. Nicholls)

A serious prospect for the top handicap chases this season is Join Together. A fair hurdler, he has already showed improved form for going over fences. He was still travelling well on his chase debut at Chepstow, when falling five out, but made amends next time when staying on well to beat subsequent festival winner Teaforthree at Cheltenham. He then returned to Prestbury Park for the December meeting and was very impressive in defeating Mossley by 12 lengths. Back in third was Champion Court who went on to finish second at both the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals. He did not show his best form at the festivals, but returns this season on a good handicap mark of 151 and I expect a race like the Hennessy Gold Cup to really suit him. He can run up with the pace and stays very well and I can see him running a big race at Newbury. The Welsh National is another race that could be targeted although it would not surprise me if he was to travel over to Ireland to tackle the Lexus Chase as Paul Nicholls often like to run his up and coming staying chasers in that race.

KAZLIAN (FR) (D. Pipe)

A handicap hurdler to look out for this season is Kazlian. He was a decent horse on the flat, including finishing second to Staros in a listed race, who was beaten just two lengths by Pour Moi next time out. After finishing second on his hurdles debut, he absolutely routed the opposition at Ffos Las, winning by fifty lengths on heavy ground, before again winning easily, this time at Leicester on soft ground. For his next start he tackled the Fred Winter Hurdle at Cheltenham and it was like the good old days seeing a fluent jumping Pipe-Scudamore front runner putting the field under pressure and he looked set to win, only to fade close home. It is possible that he was not quite strong enough at that stage of his career to pull off those front running tactics in such a competitive race, but having had the summer to grow and strengthen up, he should be very interesting this season and I can see him winning a valuable handicap hurdle in the coming months.

KEPPOLS HILL (IRE) (P. F. Nicholls)

A horse to look out for from the point-to-point ranks is Keppols Hill. He has now graduated from the Richard Barber yard and is with Paul Nicholls for his career under rules. After two starts in Ireland, he moved to Britain and won all four starts in points, progressing each time. On his second start in Britain he won by a run-in at Charlton Horethorne and for his next start tackled Open company over three miles four furlongs, finishing two lengths ahead of Dear Villez, who was rated 152 at his peak under rules. His final start was in another Open race and he proved a very impressive winner on good to soft ground. He made his chase debut at Ffos Las in October on ground softer than he is used to, but despite the ground he was well clear approaching the last, only to make a bad mistake, that cost him the race, finishing a short head behind Makethe Mostofnow. Overall he jumped really well though and he showed a great attitude once passed, fighting back and he would have regained the lead in another 50 yards, so I am sure he will bounce back. He looks just the sort of horse that Paul Nicholls does so well with and given his record with ex-point-to-point horses at Chepstow, please keep a look out for him there, as he would certainly be a serious contender for a three mile maiden or novice chase at the Welsh track.

KNOCK A HAND (IRE) (R. Lee)

A fascinating prospect for novice chases this season is Knock A Hand. After making a pleasing debut under rules in a bumper at Chepstow, he returned to the Welsh track for his debut over hurdles and stayed on well to beat a large field, including the decent Ohio Gold. He then made all to win again at Chepstow, before handling heavy conditions well at Haydock, when making all and giving weight to score over the brush hurdles in impressive fashion. On his next start he tackled handicap-company for the first time in a competitive contest at Newbury and stayed on well over three miles to hold off the challenge of the highly thought of Gullinbursti. Although he disappointed on his final start of the season at Aintree, it is possible that he was over the top by then and also the ground may have been faster than ideal as he has a great record on heavy ground, having won all three races. Whilst watching him over hurdles I have always thought he would make a much better chaser and can see him doing very well over two and a half to three miles on testing ground. Although he disappointed on his chase debut, he jumped well and should improve for the run, so I am expecting a much better run next time, especially under more testing conditions, so I am prepared to leave him in this list.

LIE FORRIT (IRE) (W. Amos)

One of the best handicapped horses in training is Lie Forrit. He was very progressive over hurdles, winning four of his eight starts, including defeating Great Endeavour at Cheltenham and finishing ninth in the 2010 World Hurdle. He ran three times in novice chases last season and ran well in all three races. On his debut he stayed on well to win on soft ground at Kelso, defeating the useful Blenheim Brook and then returned to that track to finish a close second to the talented Bold Sir Brian (now rated 145). His final start was at Ayr and again he stayed on well to finish second, this time over three miles one furlong. Unfortunately he missed the rest of the season and although he travelled well for a long way on his seasonal debut at Kelso, he faded badly and should improve a lot for the run. As a result he now has a chase rating of just 130, compared to 155 over hurdles, so assuming he comes on the run, he should prove very competitive in handicap chases this season. I feel he needs a real test of stamina to be seen at his best, so three miles four furlongs or more on soft ground will be perfect for him and I certainly believe that there is a big handicap in him, possibly the Welsh or Scottish National.

NEW YEAR’S EVE (J. Ferguson)

John Ferguson was a trainer to follow last season and he went very close to winning the Weatherbys Champion bumper with New Year’s Eve. On his racecourse debut, he went into many notebooks with an eye-catching win at Ludlow and then he followed it up with another impressive win, this time at Market Rasen. It is a big jump to then take on the best bumper horses around, but there was plenty of market confidence for him at Cheltenham as he was backed down to 9/2 favourite. He travelled well throughout the race and always looked a threat, but when he came to challenge he was unfortunate to come up against a very game competitor in Champagne Fever and he just could not get past him. It was no disgrace to lose to him though and he remains a very exciting prospect for novice hurdles this season. He clearly has a good cruising speed and a touch of class and if he takes to hurdles, he should be able to win his fair share of races and be competitive again at Cheltenham in March.

OSCARGO (IRE) (P. F. Nicholls)

A horse to look out for on decent ground this season is Oscargo. After beating Harry The Viking on his debut over hurdles, he started last season with a decent run at Chepstow, before finishing third to Dorset Square at Cheltenham in a competitive handicap. He then returned to Prestbury Park and stayed on strongly to easily beat Kayf Aramis over three miles on good ground. He unseated next time out and the ground was too soft on his final start, but he is set to go over fences this season and he has the look of a chaser, so I expect him to do well. He is rated 142 over hurdles, so if he takes to fences he has the potential to run well in some of the top races. On his sole start in points, he had every chance of winning when the rider fell off two out, but with that experience behind him and with the team at Ditcheat having schooled him, I expect him to prove a useful addition to their chasing team.

REGAL ENCORE (IRE) (A. Honeyball)

A horse that could have a very bright future is Regal Encore. He made his debut in an all-weather bumper at Southwell and was always travelling well, before pulling clear for an impressive success. His next start was at Chepstow in October and as a result of that impressive victory, he started a hot favourite in a decent bumper. He had Tony McCoy in the saddle and he again travelled strongly throughout and when asked to challenge the leaders, he did so in impressive style and he basically looked a class above the opposition. I have a feeling that he is a very good horse to win like he did on soft ground at Chepstow and must be followed. He is a fascinating prospect for novice hurdles and I expect him to take that route shortly and whilst he may stay further, I expect him to be a serious force over two miles and up to standard for running at the big festivals in the spring.

ROCKY CREEK (IRE) (P. F. Nicholls)

One of the novice chasers that I am most looking forward to seeing this season is Rocky Creek. He joined the Nicholls stable with a tall reputation, having beaten the decent Rolling Aces in his sole start in Irish points. He made his British debut at Exeter at a time that Nicholls’ horses were improving for the run and was very well supported in the market, but found Allthekingshorses a neck too good with the pair well clear of the third. He made no mistake next time out though when easily winning a Grade Two Hurdle at Doncaster over three miles. For some reason he could not get competitive in the Albert Bartlett at Cheltenham and was then put away for the season. He was bought as a chaser though and certainly has the look of a chaser, so this season could be when he steps up a gear. He made his seasonal debut at Exeter in October over three miles and jumped superbly, travelling strongly throughout the early stages, before getting out paced at a crucial stage, but to his credit he stayed on strongly and jumping the last looked set to win, only to just lose out close home. I am sure he will improve for the run and with that run under his belt, more forcing tactics could reap their reward as he looks an out and out stayer and should easily get off the mark over fences soon.

ROLLING ACES (IRE) (P. F. Nicholls)

Another ex-Irish point-to-pointer bought to join Paul Nicholls is Rolling Aces and after having finished second to Rocky Creek on his debut, he made no mistake winning his next and final start in points. On his first run for Nicholls he was weak in the market at Wincanton, with his stable-mate No Loose Change proving much more popular, but it was Rolling Aces who came out on top, staying on strongly to beat a field of eleven, having been up with the pace throughout. The way he jumped that day was very much in the style of a horse that will be much better suited to fences and although he was beaten on his final two starts, I expect him to do well this winter and a good test of stamina over fences should see the best of him. He has already made his debut for the season, finishing fourth in a big field over hurdles at Cheltenham and with that run under his belt, I expect him to go chasing and with a hurdles rating of just 128, he could prove a very interesting prospect in novice handicap chases.

ROYAL DE LA THINTE (IRE) (J. T. R. Dreaper)

Unfortunately due to injury, Royal De La Thinte was unable to run last season, but he remains a very interesting prospect and stays in this list. He was very impressive on his second start over fences, jumping superbly and after taking up the running early on, nothing could get near him as he was extending his advantage at every fence, eventually winning by ten lengths from the decent Alpha Ridge. On his chase debut he was unfortunate to come up against Bostons Angel, but finished a clear second and then in January he raced against another top novice Quito De La Roque and was giving him a mighty race only to fall at the last. His final start of the season saw a rematch with Quito De La Roque and this time he finished second, but well clear of the remainder. It is possible that the fall had affected his confidence so there is every chance that he is better than the bare form of that run. He starts the season with a rating of 143, which looks very attractive and I certainly feel that he is capable of winning a big handicap this season.

ROYAL GUARDSMAN (IRE) (S. Nock)

A horse to look out for over hurdles this season is Royal Guardsman. He was a very impressive winner on his debut, winning by eleven lengths on good ground at Fontwell, in a field of fourteen. He arguably needed the run first time out last season, when fourth at Ascot behind Sir Johnson, but he made no mistake next time out, when returning to Ascot, he was a very impressive winner, travelling well throughout before pulling clear of the pack. His final start of the season was at Cheltenham in the champion bumper, but he suffered trouble in running and was unable to show how good he actually is. He has been given a break since and now his attention is turned to hurdles, he should be able to progress and compete at a high level. He has moved yards over the summer from Colin Tizzard to Susan Nock and I expect her to find an easy opportunity for him to start with before stepping up in grade and he looks an exciting prospect for the season.

SHUTTHEFRONTDOOR (IRE) (J. O’Neill)

A very exciting horse for novice hurdles this season is Shutthefrontdoor. A sixteen lengths winner on his bumper debut at Ffos Las on soft ground, he had little trouble following up when stepping up to listed company at Ascot, beating Claret Cloak who previously was an impressive winner on his debut. It was his next start though that caught my eye, as he stayed on very well and showed a winning attitude to defeat Village Vic in another listed bumper, this time at Newbury on good to soft ground and back in fourth was Gevrey Chambertin who was a very impressive winner of his first start and is also the full brother to Grands Crus. It looked a good race at the time and I was left with the impression that he should make up into a decent hurdler this season and he is certainly one to look out for.

SILVINIACO CONTI (FR) (P. F. Nicholls)

After the retirement of Denman and with Kauto Star soon to be a teenager, the team at Ditcheat will be looking for their next star chaser and there is every chance that it could be Silviniaco Conti. A top class hurdler, he took to fences well last season and really impressed me on his chase debut where he jumped superbly to finish third to Cue Card. I feel he was just in need of the run that day and he had little trouble in getting off the mark over fences at the second time of asking when jumping well to win the Grade Two Rising Stars Novices’ Chase at Wincanton over two miles five furlongs. On his next start he took on Grands Crus and Bobs Worth in the Grade One Feltham Chase and stayed on well to finish second, which for a five year old was a good performance, especially when you consider that the winning time was faster than that achieved by Kauto Star in the King George later on the card. After running below form at Ascot next time out, he was given a break and kept fresh for Aintree and that decision paid off as he was a very impressive winner of the Grade Two Mildmay Novices’ Chase, easily beating Champion Court by thirteen lengths. Considering the ease of that win over that 155 rated opponent, he could prove leniently handicapped on a mark of 156 and looks an ideal type for the Hennessy Gold Cup, before a return trip to Kempton for a crack at the King George. There should be plenty of options for him this season over both three miles and two and a half and I certainly expect him to be worth following.

SIZING SYMPHONY (IRE) (H. De Bromhead)

One of the horses that I saw last year that I am really expecting to show much improved form for jumping fences is Sizing Symphony. He improved gradually over hurdles, making all to win easily on his third attempt and then followed it up with an easy win at Fairyhouse, with both victories occurring on good ground. He then travelled over to Cheltenham for their October fixture and won easily, defeating Bold Addition by seven lengths on good to firm ground. He is a big horse and looks a chaser through and through, so I am certainly expecting him to pay his way over fences, but I feel ground conditions are important to him, as he clearly appears better on decent ground, so he is one for early season races. I would not be so confident about his chances on testing ground in Ireland during the winter and if he runs below form on soft ground, I would not give up on him, as he could be one to look out for in the Pulteney Land Investments Novices’ Handicap Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, where he should be able to run off a decent handicap mark on decent ground.

TEAFORTHREE (IRE) (Miss R. Curtis)

After a very good first season over fences, Teaforthree is fancied to make his presence felt in some of the top staying handicap chases this season, including the Hennessy Gold Cup and the Grand National. He progressed well last season and looked good when beating Restless Harry on heavy ground at Chepstow. He then took on Grands Crus in the Feltham at Kempton, but went off too quickly and the ground was not ideal for him, so it was not a real surprise that he was beaten there. He bounced back strongly though, winning easily again at Chepstow before a bold jumping performance at Cheltenham when winning the four miler. He is a very game horse that jumps well from up with the pace and combined with the fact he stays so well, he looks sure to be competitive in big races this season. A mark of 146 looks workable and I fully expect him to run well in the Hennessy and given his record at Chepstow, the Welsh National is an obvious target, especially as the soft ground will hold no fears to him. Also the fact he travels well from the front and stays makes him a very interesting prospect for the Grand National as he obviously has a touch of class.

VESPER BELL (IRE) (W. Mullins)

One of the horses I am most looking forward to seeing over fences is Vesper Bell. He is a massive horse and should have little trouble jumping fences and having seen him jump hurdles, I fully expect him to show much improved form for going chasing. On his debut in bumpers he beat the decent Aupcharlie on heavy ground and after finishing second on his hurdles debut, he went to Fairyhouse and was always up with the pace before pulling clear to win easily on soft ground. His next start was on much quicker ground and he ran well to finish fifth in a very competitive handicap, but I feel he will always be at his best when the ground is testing. On his final start of the season he was allowed to take his chance in the Grade One War of Attrition Novices’ Hurdle at Punchestown on heavy ground and he ran a good race to finish second to stable-mate Marasonnien, finishing well clear of the useful Sous Les Cieux. He was always up with the pace that day and stayed on well once headed, indicating that he stays three miles well. There should be plenty of opportunities for him over the winter, but I expect him to be at his best when racing over three miles on heavy ground.

VULCANITE (IRE) (C. Longsdon)

A horse to look out for in handicap hurdles this season is Vulcanite. A five time winner and rated 103 on the flat, he did not progress as far as connections expected during his first season over hurdles, but as a result starts this season with a very attractive handicap mark of 134. He made his hurdles debut at Kempton’s King George meeting and ran a promising race, finishing second to Tetlami and then on his next start he was a very easy winner at Southwell. On his next start he tackled good company at Newbury and ran a fair race to finish second behind Montbazon who went on to run so well in the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham. Both Cheltenham and Aintree proved beyond him last season, but it is worth watching a replay of his run at Cheltenham as he travelled and jumped well and looked to have a seriously good chance turning for home only to fade. It is also worth remembering that he was running on the flat last year and he may just have been in need of a break. He was purchased by J. P. McManus during the summer and recently made his seasonal debut at Fakenham, where he won very easily. Having had the summer to mature and freshen up, he looks an improved horse and should be able to follow up in better company.

some of these have allready run so i will update over the weekend

Thanks for that - what do you make of Sir Des Champs? I reckon he'll have the favourite [Flemenstar, he not bad either] @ Punchestown on Sunday

PS: GS can now be followed on Twitter as @themastarata

looking forward to the race in the racing post yesterday the trainer of flemenstar said if the ground is to sticky or gluey i dont think bog warrior will run either

One of the problems at the moment is the ground, always worth watching the first race on each track without betting to see what it really is rather than believe what the official one is.

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Thread Information