Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Ignorance!

Ignorance!

Hi there.

New poster. Have recently started putting more and more bets down. However, need clarification on different types of bets if possible!

1) Yankee - Can someone please explain this in Lehmans terms for me please?! I understand the principle of it, but just need clarification. For example, how do you work out your stake on a yankee? What does a yankee consist of.

In fact any help on all different bets would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Put four selections from different sporting events (or four different horse races) into a 'Multibet' and a one of the options to bet on should be a 'Yankee''.

What you are betting on:
    Say you have picked horses Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta. Alpha is running in the 1.00, Beta is running in the 2.00, Gamma is running in the 3.00 and Delta is in the 4.00 for example. All that matters here is that they are not running in the same race!

With a 'To Win' Yankee you are placing 11 bets all at once.
    The 11 bets are: Using the first letter of each to save typing!)
    (6 doubles)
    Bet 1) A AND B will both win their races.
    Bet 2) A AND C will both win their races.
    Bet 3) A AND D will both win their races.
    Bet 4) B AND C will both win their races.
    Bet 5) B AND D will both win their races.
    Bet 6) C AND D will both win their races.

(Wish I never started writing this now!)

(4 tripples)
    Bet 7) A AND B and C will ALL win their races.
    Bet 8) A AND B and D will ALL win their races.
    Bet 9) A AND C and D will ALL win their races.
    Bet 10) B AND C and D will ALL win their races.

(1 fourfold)
    Bet 11) A AND B AND C AND D will ALL win their races.

(You should be properly crosseyed by now! )

Note if just ONE of the horses does not win then you LOSE 7 of your bets in one race

If Two Horses lose you are left with ONE possible winning bet

If THREE lose there are NO winning bets.

If you add the four missing single to win bets you get a lucky 15 bet!

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Excellent, very helpful. Thanks!

So if i'm putting a £1 yankee, it will equate to an £11 stake?

I presume you have to have at least 2 of your choices winning, because their is no single bets in a yankee?

I know it's a pretty daft question to ask, but generally are yankees advisable for the beginner? Bearing in mind that barring a stroke of luck, you can only ever presume no more than 2 of your selections will come in. So(depending on the odds of course) can 2 of your selections coming in on a yankee allow a big enough return to make it worthwhile?

Once again, thanks for the help!

11 pounds yes.

2 winners yes.

For a beginner - beginners luck may work for you - long term bookies will love your money! As a fun bet at big meetings you might have a chance to make good money as the odds are higher. Depends on your ability to choose horses.

First to move from amature to professional Two things to start doing.
    1. Set up a new betting bank for a SINGLE method of choosing horse to bet on.
    2. Record all the bets thoughts observations you have about the method.

Advice:- Don't give up too quickly start thinking in years rather than in days and NEVER chase losses.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Thanks

I'm fully prepared for the fact that i'm going to see far more losses than profits for a long time to come! All part of the fun(ish)

If you want to win some money and learn disapline in the process follow the win2win A,A+ bets with a single bank and don't give up on them stick to 2% of the current betting bank.

Marcus

silax is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

i think cool hand just likes to have fun marcus and an interest in the days racing

Thats not allowed! :D

"Be Right and Sit Tight" - Jesse Livermore, trading legend...

One thing you may (or may not!) want to bear in mind Cool Hand is the margin bookies have on every book. It's how they make their profit.

The bookies set their prices on a race (or any event) such that if the money comes in as expected they around a 10% profit on the money staked. This is often much higher than 10% but you get the point. If the money isn't staked as expected bookies adjust their prices to make runners more or less attractive to the punters.

A book may include a 10% margin. This means the bookmaker takes in 110% of the money he pays out on that market. If you have a double in two such markets the edge on your bet is 21% (110%*110%-100%). If you have a treble the edge increases to 33%.

The greater the multiple the higher the bookie's profit margin.

The example shown uses a 10% margin, which is tight for a bookie. On Premiership football matches the margin would be 6% or 7% but on races like Cheltenham a margin of 1% per runner is not unusual. That means bookies could be looking at 25% profit on a single and over 50% on doubles.

This is why most people who try to make a serious go of this gambling lark regard these sort of bets as mug bets. Depends what you are after though - a bit of fun and an outside chance of a bigger payout or regular small profits.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find a lot to keep you interested here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand
    1) Yankee - Can someone please explain this in Lehmans terms for me please?!
    No-one did explain this in German did they? :wink

Something else for you to know about Yankees ...

After putting on your Yankee, 11 bets, if the first outcome goes badly for you (i.e. the first horse doesn't win its race, or whatever), 7 of your bets have just lost, and you are down to 4 remaining possibilities.

That's among the reasons that the bookies love Yankees so much that they give the punters all sorts of extra incentives to do that sort of bet. Worth thinking about ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand
    So(depending on the odds of course) can 2 of your selections coming in on a yankee allow a big enough return to make it worthwhile?
    They can, but you also have 10 losing bets if only 2 winners come in so you need a 10/1 double to break even.

You'd probably make more money long term backing each of the 4 selections as singles.

Thread Information