Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: UFC 80 - Rapid Fire

UFC 80 - Rapid Fire

The UFC sees it's first event of 08 this side of the pond in Newcastle in what looks a very good card. The big names may not be here but the matchups look solid. And i will be looking forward to the action.

BJ Penn (-300) vs. Joe Stevenson (+240)
    This fight will be for the vacant lightweight belt after Sean Sherk tested positive for a banned substance.
    This looks a good matchup to decide the next lightweight champ, The ever popular 'prodigy' BJ penn and TUF2 welterweight winner stevenson.
    Penn best known for his excelent ju-jitsu, also has underestimated standup.
    Stevensen is another quality fighter, well rounded, strong and commands fights.
    As for the fight i can see Stevenson outworking Penn who has a tendancy to gas. Usually BJ Penn will assume controle of a fight if it hits the ground, however he will find it very hard to do this to Stephenson, who i feel may end up on top if it goes to the ground. I actually feel that Stevensen may outwork Penn for a decission victory. The odd's are also very tasty, I have often underestimated BJ Penn in the past however i feel that this fight will be much closer than the odd's sugguest. Making Stevenson a great value pick at such underdog odd's.

VERDICT - STEVENSON

Gabriel Gonzaga (-225) vs. Fabricio Werdum (+185)
    The 2 fighters first met in 2003 which saw Werdum get the best of it. Both are versed in ji-jitsu with Gonzaga having the standup edge, wheras werdum gets the submission edge.
    Gonzaga has been looking good and improving in his recent fights, a powerfull fighter with heavy hands, working his way up to a title shot. though a loss to Randy Coture in the title fight was a big dissapointment for him, and i am sure he will want to get back on the road to another title fight.
    Werdum just hasnt performed in the UFC and failed to show his full potential, most notiably his poor, tentative display in Manchester against Arlovskey. A repeat display that nobody wants to see in this fight. If he wants this fight then he will be faced with the prospect of getting Gonzaga to the ground, a task that i feel he will struggle with.

VERDICT - GONZAGA

Jess Liaudin (+275) vs. Marcus Davis (-345)
    the classic matchup of standup vs submission with the fantastic boxing skills of davis and the submission skills of Liaudin. This should be a great fight with two fighters on fantastic winning streaks.
    I fancy Davis to win the fight, his excelent standup and improving all round game should be enough to take the win, the odd's are short, so i won't bet a lot.

VERDICT - DAVIS

Wilson Gouveia (-145) vs. Jason Lambert (+115)
    Another good looking fight, Gouveia has looked impressive winning his last 3 fights, and Lambert also looking very impressive dominating and ultimately KOing Babalu in his last fight. Both fighters have great standup with Gouveia having the ground advantage and Lambert having the edge in power. I think this is another 50/50 fight so Lambert gets the pick for value.

VERDICT - LAMBERT

Jorge Rivera (+265) vs. Kendall Grove (-325)
    The ever impressive TUF3 middleweight champ Grove takes on veteran and TUF 4 competitor Rivera. Both fighters are desperate for a win here, Grove was on the way to a title shot before being KOed last time out against Patrick Cote - in a fight where he looked to be comfortably winning. Rivera looked poor in TUF4 so not an impressive comeback he was hoping for, So this fight could be one of survival in the UFC for him.
    To be honnest i see Grove being better at every aspect in this fight, he is continually improving his impressive standup and submissions, and 6'6" frame is a challange to any fighter. Rivera has past his peak and will need to produce a shock upset to get anything from this fight.

VERDICT - GROVE.

PRELIMINARY CARD
    Antoni Hardonk vs. Colin Robinson
    Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
    James Lee vs. Alessio Sakara
    Per Eklund vs. Sam Stout

Thread Information