Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Where to start ?

darcy666 is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Where to start ?

Okay, so I've decided to try my hand at poker. I'm not rushing into things and have spent the last week or so learning the basics and reading a few beginners books to try and give me an edge when starting out. I'm going to start with Texas Hold'em but need a little bit of advice about where to actually play seeing as there are so many sites available. Which sites do you recommend ? Obviously I'll be starting out with small stakes so I guess limit games would be best, but should I be playing cash games or tournaments to get best returns/practice ? My starting bankroll will be £200.

to be honnest most poker sites are the same, so theres no real benefit of one over the other - unless you go for the best sign up bonus - the W2W game is on bet365 though.

i would probably jump in with no-limit. it may just be because i dislike 'limit' games, and prefer 'no-limit' but basically they are completely different games. you can also play for peanuts - like 1 / 2p blinds.

one way to start is with play money - problem being you will play purely (well nearly always) against morons, who go all in every other hand, and is a bad way to learn, freeroll multi table tournies can be a bit better.

possibly a good place to start would be 10 seater STT (single table tournament), play for like a $1 buy in and the play will no doupt be better than that of similar 'cash games'.

something important is to find a level of play you are comfortable with, by all means start small, but every so often take a step up, though keep within your comfort limits. as very small stakes play tends to be poor, and you simply will not improve your play.

Read the Dummies Guide...excellent for beginners, although too complicated for Vegy who learnt his by watching Homer Simpson play :D

I use Party Poker, no waiting around for a table to fill up.

Read this www.win2winpoker.co.uk

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Cheers for the advice guys.

Yeah, I read the Dummies first. Found it very useful.

gimme yor email address and ill reccomend you to a few sites:D

¦19¦ YEARS ¦34¦ YEARS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :(

G L A Z E R O U T !

Wow. Registered with partypoker (some dutch guy rang me at home 20 mins later to verify my account ?) and after a couple of practice hands I entered my first tournament ($3 buy in, 10 person sit and go limit holdem). I played cautiously only with good opening hands and watched the others knock each other out, and then became more aggressive when we were down to 4-5 players. I ended up coming first ! I entered again and won my second tournament using the same tactics ! Maybe a bit of beginners luck but I'm liking it already :)

nice one darcy. i dont think you win two torneys just cos of luck though.so youre doing something right.

¦19¦ YEARS ¦34¦ YEARS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :(

G L A Z E R O U T !

ive tried loads of sites,but i keep coming back to 888(pacific).
    the reason being,the blinds dont go up too rapidly,and if you play early in the morning,you can reap huge rewards with the drunk americans playing like idiots.
    i would suggest you try the dollar tables until you start to feel your feet though.
    the trick is,to beat the obvious(if you have got 2 pair or better).its surprising how many people see an ace in the hole and think "come on then"
    one word of warning,its hard to stop playing once you start winning.
    good luck darcy:D

tacker is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Get Pokertracker.It will allow you to go back on your hands and see where the leaks are.Its the best investment you will make for poker

Quote Originally Posted by tacker View Post
    Get Pokertracker.It will allow you to go back on your hands and see where the leaks are.Its the best investment you will make for poker
    From what I have seen of it I think I prefer Poker Office now

Thread Information