Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys

Watched these last night......I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing this 'historic' band around in 20-30 years time......the singer has a vocal range of non, the guitarists don't know many chords, best of them was the bass player.......and the drummers kit...or should I say WHAT kit

Thank God the Spice Girls are coming back

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Must admit I can't see what the fuss is about either.... over hyped mediocrity. And the Arctic Monkeys are just as bad...

My keyboard's running out of ink....

Got to agree....Wasn't too impressed. In fact when my daughter switched to Big Brother, it was almost on for 5 seconds before I turned it BBC24.:D

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

drfernet is offline Win2Win Racing Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Thank God the Spice Girls are coming back

Are they?

best of them was the bass player.......and the drummers kit...or should I say WHAT kit
    But we know youre comparing them with Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain...slightly unfair Keith! I dont think they are too bad...I hope they wont be around in 30 years...if only someone can tell that to The Rolling Stones now....

Actually got hold of the 2 Maiden albums last weekend when Blaze Bayley was the singer...music doesnt sound that bad but his voice just isnt the same at all is it. Again a little unfair though eh!

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
    if only someone can tell that to The Rolling Stones now....
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there Scooby... last Stones album was a stormer, probably the best they've done in over 20 years, and they're still one of the best live bands around. :)

Must admit I'm not a fan of the Blaze era Maiden stuff either... but then again I'm an old git when it comes to Maiden and still prefer the first 2 albums as that was when I first saw them live - 4 or 5 times in 1980-81. Most of Bruce's albums wih the band are excellent... especially the newest one, but you still can't beat that debut album.

But we know youre comparing them with Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain...slightly unfair Keith!
    Comparing it wih my kit, only started learning guitar end of last year, and already play better than that lot, drums I've worked with all my life, and learning keyboard now.....no time for sleep......been on pep pills since '86

Quote Originally Posted by bigcumba View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there Scooby... last Stones album was a stormer, probably the best they've done in over 20 years, and they're still one of the best live bands around. :)

Must admit I'm not a fan of the Blaze era Maiden stuff either... but then again I'm an old git when it comes to Maiden and still prefer the first 2 albums as that was when I first saw them live - 4 or 5 times in 1980-81. Most of Bruce's albums wih the band are excellent... especially the newest one, but you still can't beat that debut album.
    No problem bigc...its all about opinions....thank goodness for that eh :)

I thought the last Maiden album was very good, but I do probably like Number of the Beast and I love Piece of Mind...reminds me of when I was young! I actually saw Blaze when he was in Wolfsbane a few times at The Marquee Club...long time ago now!

My fav Maiden album is Powerslave

I just wish I could play drums like that bird out of White Stripes

I just wish I could play drums like that bird out of White Stripes
    Now you think the drummer in Arctic Monkeys aint too bad eh!!

I just wish I could play that bird out of White Stripes
    I reckon I could get a tune out of her.

D

It's hard to have a battle of wits when your opponent is unarmed.

Of all the Brucie albums that or Seventh Son would be my faves, and the new one to make the top 3. From what I hear the band are taking a year off to plan their new album... and are hinting at a return to Powerslave style... Bruce told the Download festivel crowd they were taking a year off to build a pyramid... sounds tasty to me!

Of all the Brucie albums that or Seventh Son would be my faves, and the new one to make the top 3. From what I hear the band are taking a year off to plan their new album... and are hinting at a return to Powerslave style... Bruce told the Download festivel crowd they were taking a year off to build a pyramid... sounds tasty to me!
    Cant disagree with any of that....Powerslave is excellent album. I have seen them twice, once at Hammersmith Odeon in 86 I think, Somewhere in time tour, another fine album...and then at Donnington in 88. They are without doubt one of the best live bands I have seen...supreme talent. Steve Harris...amazing bass player and the strings he uses are really thick...I tried playing with them once and my God...he must have some strong fingers I tell you!

Powerslave was the first album of theirs I got after a friend at school played it to me. After that I got all their previous stuff. Favourite album for me would be between Powerslave, Seventh Son, Somewhere In Time and Number of the Beast I think, although that may change depending what week it is As to favourite songs there are so many. Trooper, Run to the Hills, Drifter, Prisoner, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Only the good die young, I'll stop cos this list could go on a while! Went off them during the Blaze years but they've come back as good as ever since Bruce returned I think. My musical tastes have broadened a bit since back then when it was heavy metal or nothing, but I still like them as much as I ever did.

Steve Harris...amazing bass player
    Definitely.. first band I was in we did Running Free and Run to The Hills... first on was easy enough but RTTH has that mental fingering style he does so well and I reckon I needed 2 more fingers on my right hand to cope with it! Wrathchild is a good one to play as well, love that opening riff!

Definitely.. first band I was in we did Running Free and Run to The Hills... first on was easy enough but RTTH has that mental fingering style he does so well and I reckon I needed 2 more fingers on my right hand to cope with it! Wrathchild is a good one to play as well, love that opening riff!
    Dont envy you with Run to the Hills bigc! The thing is he does that for over 2 hours a night for god knows how many dates and I bet he doesnt even feel it...wonder what those fingers will be like when he gets a bit older! We did Wrathchild...great song to do and one of the...shall I say eaiser ones to do! :wink I saw them on channel 4 about month ago and he said he only uses 2 fingers...some think he uses more but no. Absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR
    Went off them during the Blaze years but they've come back as good as ever since Bruce returned I think. My musical tastes have broadened a bit since back then when it was heavy metal or nothing, but I still like them as much as I ever did.
    Yes I dont like the Blaze era as much but listened to The Clansman last night from Virtual XI and the music is fantastic in my opinion...would love to hear Bruce sing that song.

I saw them on channel 4 about month ago and he said he only uses 2 fingers...some think he uses more but no
    I'd have sworn he used 3, and that's the way I tried it, but gave up.. had to resort to the old heavy duty plectrum. Probably explains why I snapped so many bass strings!

Yes I dont like the Blaze era as much but listened to The Clansman last night from Virtual XI and the music is fantastic in my opinion...would love to hear Bruce sing that song.
    He does on the Live in Rio DVD :D Bloody great....especiall Nicko's Scottish jig

I'd have sworn he used 3, and that's the way I tried it, but gave up.. had to resort to the old heavy duty plectrum. Probably explains why I snapped so many bass strings!
    Me too! Plectrum for me too!!! This is link to interview if you never saw it...was on ch4 Live from Abbey Road....also there are links to the 2 songs they did as well.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yOI_JjmYnRQ

cheers for the link mate - some kind soul actually posted a top quality 450Mb avi of that on the newsgroups so I've got it - still haven't had time to watch it properly yet though.

He does on the Live in Rio DVD :D Bloody great....especiall Nicko's Scottish jig
    Thanks Keith...found it on Live in Rio on itunes.

Arctic Monkeys aren't a bad outfit, they've achieved a lot in a short space of time.

Anyone see Iggy and the Stooges on Johnathon Ross last night?

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Arctic Monkeys aren't a bad outfit, they've achieved a lot in a short space of time.
    Ill second that Johnny boy!!! :D

No...but I did Sky+ it and so will watch it now youve said that!

I agree with Keith, they are crap.The most over rated band for a long time.

I saw Iggy and Stooges live I wasn't impressed.

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

The Arctic Monkeys aren't fit to be in the same post as the Godfather of punk!

Sam - you may have caught them on a bad night, I've seen Iggy quite a few times over the last 20 years and he's been amazing every time.

He was good I think I just expected more

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

He's not the same now he's off the drugs :)

I saw Iron Maiden on tv from download doing Fear of The Dark, it was fantastic

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

He's not the same now he's off the drugs :)
    You could have a point there :wink

'SOULMATES NEVER DIE'
    MySpace
    PHOTOS

Quote Originally Posted by samantha1303 View Post
    He was good I think I just expected more
    Was that before or after he'd dropped his pants?

Thread Information