Sometimes even when results or stats indicate otherwise it can be difficult to bring yourself to abandon a long held view.One such prejudice i have had to over come in recent years concerned horses who had never won a race.

I am only analysing hcaps for older horses and for many years regardless of rating i would not back a horse who had not won before,in fact i was even more demanding in that i required that any selection must have already won a proper hcap.There is some sense in this which still holds good to day.

But a couple of years ago i started to notice that an increased number of these virgin horses where winning,i think it could be because of changes to the entries system,but after much thought and paper proofing i decided that under some circumstances i would back these horses,so far this has proved a good decision.

The first quarter of this year has been the slowest start i have had for many years with my LSP of 15pts , but my last bet in FEB was Hopeful Start won 7.26,and my first bet in MAR was Keep Holden won 4.09,both where horses who had never won before but as you can see have made a major contribution to YTD profits.

So a good example of the need to keep an open mind and sometimes overcome long held prejudices.