Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: A tipping service letter

A tipping service letter

I received a letter this morning (dated tomorrow ) from a horse racing tipster who shall remain nameless. It's the usual tripe about how the bookies have closed his accounts and he's even included a copy of one such letter in with his own introductory letter to me. He's so good he's included a page of testimonials too. And an article from a newspaper reporting how successful he is. And lucky me, I can have a free tip from him this Saturday if I phone a number and enter my personal secret code that's detailed on my letter. Wow!

The alarm bells first start to ring when you look at the letter and newspaper article and they look several years old. His big triumph that he is spouting off about is a series of bets made on the Cheltenham races in 2005 which makes me wonder what he has done to shout about since then, especially as I have never heard of the fella. I'm also puzzled as to why in his sales material he is moaning about missing the best prices while passing on info to the clients, which delayed his trip to the bookies. Why wasn't he using a telephone or internet account?

Anyway. He's included a website address so I have just this minute pulled it up. The site is rubbish for a start. But the services he offers are brilliant:

1. An average of 2-4 texts a day for £500 a month plus a £1 per point profit
    2. An averaqe of 3-8 professional bets a day for £2000 a month or £1000 a month plus a £5 per point profit share
    3. A pay as you win service

It's this last one that's my favourite. It's free, apparently. According to the details for this service membership is free till September. Errm, it's October now. Just pay the £100 joining fee (that's not free!) and you get the tips. You just need to send them the winnings from a "token" £50 bet on each one. Token?!? He even admits that he has to do this, get others to bet for him, as he got too big for the bookies. So he gets £50 times however many members he has when a horse wins and loses, erm, nothing when the horse doesn't win. Sounds like a great deal to me.

So will I be phoning on Saturday for my free tip? Oh no. No way.

How do some people get away with operating a service like this and even more staggering why do people pay for it?

been there, done it,got the t-shirt etc,etc.
    we all get these from time to time matt,as soon as i open them up i know exactly whats coming,and i know where the letter is going,in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by eruptive plot View Post
    been there, done it,got the t-shirt etc,etc.
    we all get these from time to time matt,as soon as i open them up i know exactly whats coming,and i know where the letter is going,in the bin.
    Oh yeah, totally. I always look into them a little bit if they have a website though, just for the comedy value. It makes me feel much better about the services I am following and the prices I am paying.

If things like the Secret Betting Club were known about by a bigger audience then I doubt so many of these shysters would still be in business

unfortunately matt, these guys will be around as long as horseracing exsists,and they do make good money because there are a lot of folk who fall for the traps of these get rich quick schemes.i myself was paying for services myself for around 5 years in my twenties.but now i dont even follow horseracing any more after losing quite a lot of my hard earned.its only poker and soccer that i invest in these days.

Sorry Mat, your address must have slipped onto my mailing list! :D

The Vegster!

Winner of Ada's Eurovision Game 2014

I recall one a few years ago....the guy was sitting on a beach with his laptop on his lap, sipping a cocktail.

All I had to do was send just £299 for the magical "secret" of how to join him.....

Turns out he was telling the truth, and now it's me sitting on the beach sipping coktails!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by profit-maker View Post
    I recall one a few years ago....the guy was sitting on a beach with his laptop on his lap, sipping a cocktail.

All I had to do was send just £299 for the magical "secret" of how to join him.....

Turns out he was telling the truth, and now it's me sitting on the beach sipping coktails!! :-)
    and if you'd like me to tell you how, please send a cheque for £299......

Why don't you guys give the man a break. He's only trying to make a dishonest living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Why don't you guys give the man a break. He's only trying to make a dishonest living.
    I'm just jealous

Thread Information