Cookie Policy: This web site uses cookies. By using this site you agree to our cookie policy.
Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to the T&C. This is an information forum, and it is just that information, all views are of the individual poster and not that of the site owner. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material without the owners permission. If you copy news or articles include a link back to the original site. Threads/Posts may be deleted on request. No other links without permission.
BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION: Your question has probably been asked before, so please use the
SEARCH FUNCTION, as we grow tired of answering the same question again and again.

Thread: Runtime error help

Runtime error help

Hi,
    I have recently been having problems when on the site.
    A message comes up that says:
    runtime error, Proram:C:\Programfiles\InternetExplorer\iexplore.exe
    abnormal program termination
    It then stops me working on anything and when I click OK it closes my internet connection down.
    Does anybody have any ideas as to why and how I can correct this.
    It seems to have started happening since the layout of the site changed.
    Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.
    Dave Fretwell.

Nothing to do with the site, it's only the template that changed not the code.

Have you run Microsoft Update as well as a fix on IE?

FREE Live Odds Comparison Software

Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Filipino UK Filipino Forum | Win2Win Racing - Free Tips

Which version of windows are you using?

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Hi Dave,

The first thing I always do whenever programs go wrong is look for a reason why. Failing that, reinstalling the application should fix it.

Hope this helps.

Please take a look at:
    My Photostream on Flickr

Thanks for the help,
    I am using windows XP home version Marcus.
    How do I run a fix on IE? Not really into the technical side of things unfortunately.

Go to CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and double click it, scroll down till you get to IE, and click it. You should be given a REPAIR option.

Cheers m8,
    I did that but did not see a repair option.
    Last night I visited Microsoft update and downloaded IE 6 and installed that but still the same keeps happening. When I went onto the control panels it asked if I wanted to go back to the original settings or something like that, so I clicked OK and it rebooted.
    The icon for IE on the control panels is now gone and a couple of minutes after I went onto Win2Win it came up with the runtime error again and everything stopped.
    Is there a way of getting the scan disk up as this used to check and repair things?
    I can't see it on the system tools like it used to be on other operating systems I have used. This hopefully may find the problem and repair it.
    Thanks again Boss for your help.

To run Scandisk, just reset Windows while in a program, it'll usually run it automatically at boot up, which is the best time for it to be done.

Their should be a Repair option, do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

The problem sounds like a corrupt file, and the only other way is to reinstall Windows OVER THE TOP of your original, but this is a last resort.

Try copying the error, and put it inbetween " " , the search for it on Google. You'll find plenty of help their, as your not the first it has happened to.

I'm having problems on the site now, AVG reports Trojan Horse(s) when I'm on this site, no others.

Might be coincidence, pisses me right off though!!!

My Norton AV has not reported anything to me.

Marcus

I believe in the Mathematics of large numbers or ask you the occasional dumb question

Nothing on here, they don't write trojans in PHP, and no code is allowed that may contain them.

Norton AV and XP firewall, are not indicating any problems.

must be a quirk of AVG's software - I'm sure there are others on the forum who use it, so maybe they'll be able to say if it's affecting them as well.

My keyboard's running out of ink....

I'm using AVG no probs this end

I don't know if this link does what it says on the tin any members know anything about it to help with the runtime error ??

http://www.freedownloadtools.com/

Plater

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Got to update this when I have time please be patient ,thank you ,Open Forum...Total Lays......?Total Backs....?Hidden Forum Total Backs....?Total Lays......?

Just had a quick look Plater - it's free to download and try, but if you need to fix anything you have to pay..... personally I use Norton Systemworks, the Utilities part is brilliant for sorting out problems

Does it tell you the problem when you run it or just tell you there's somthing amiss and get you to buy it ??, wouldn't surprise me.

The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.
    Got to update this when I have time please be patient ,thank you ,Open Forum...Total Lays......?Total Backs....?Hidden Forum Total Backs....?Total Lays......?

I didn't bother finishing the download once I realised money was involved... :) I imagine it'll tell you what the problems are but not how to fix them, apart from clicking the button to part with the cash.

Thanks Plater just ordered the lifetime version of it

Thought it cheap enough for what it does $129 for a Life time Hmmmm!

About 60 quid uk pounds I recon.

Marcus

Could you send me a Pirate copy please Marcus

Dave,

It's one of two things...a corrupt Windows file or a Trojan. Solving the first is easy, click Start, Run and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and click OK. Sit back while Windows replaces any corrupt or missing files.

If that doesn't solve the problem then it's more likely that a Trojan is at fault and that will require more work. You'll need to run an anti-virus utility, if you don't have one handy trendmicro.com have a useful online one.

To flush the trojan out, you'll probably need to clear out all your temporary IE files and the ActiveX controls too. In IE, click Tools, Internet Options and the General tab. Click the Delete Files button first and Check the Delete all offline content option as well when that pops up.

When you've done that, Click the Settings button then the View Objects button. Delete any you don't recognise (don't worry as it's safe to delete all of them - they'll just be downloaded again when you next need them, e.g. Macromedia Flash, Java, etc.) Just highlight each file name and press the delete key.

After that, close IE and delete everything in your Windows/Temp folder, then open up your Recycle Bin and delete everything in there too.

Finally, get a copy of Adaware and Spybot and run both of those.

Hope this helps.

I should mention that sfc (System File Checker) is the XP version of the Scandisk command you can't find anymore.

Oh, and if you want to prevent most Trojans hijacking your browser and altering files in future, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and Uncheck the option Enable third-party extensions. Click OK, reboot Windows and your PC should be a little more secure. However, this will also disable any third-party extensions that you want to run such as pop-up killers, etc. so you'll have to decide which is the worse evil.

Thread Information